#1 Joe M

Joe M
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Other
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:01 PM

I'm gearing up to shoot my first short this spring. There is a scene that calls for 15 people or so to have their eyes look washed out (similar to the possessed look in the Excorcist). Since there is no way my budget could accommodate special effects contact lenses I'm curious about how I would go about doing this in post. The shots would be medium and close up. I'd really like to get some quick extreme close ups but I probably won't be able to achieve enough detail since I'm not very experienced with CGI. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

#2 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:18 PM

My first thought was "rotoscoping" it in After effects.

#3 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:43 PM

I'm gearing up to shoot my first short this spring. There is a scene that calls for 15 people or so to have their eyes look washed out (similar to the possessed look in the Excorcist). Since there is no way my budget could accommodate special effects contact lenses I'm curious about how I would go about doing this in post. The shots would be medium and close up. I'd really like to get some quick extreme close ups but I probably won't be able to achieve enough detail since I'm not very experienced with CGI. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

A combination of keys (where available) and roto to isolate all the eyes in the shot, followed by a combination of color correction to reduce contrast and saturation, and possibly addition of reflections if available and necessary.

I woud strongly suggest handing this off to someone who does this sort of thing for a living, if possible.

#4 Joe M

Joe M
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Other
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:13 PM

I read up on rotoscoping and it seems pretty daunting, especially for what I have in mind. I think I'll try to find someone who has experience with it to help me out. Thanks for the tips guys.

#5 Joe M

Joe M
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Other
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:10 PM

My apologies for posting about a post prod. issue. I just noticed the pinned topic at the top of the forum. I didn't see it when I did my initial post. Sorry!

Opal

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc