4 replies to this topic

#1 Will Novy

Will Novy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:26 AM

Ive heard that on the new XL HD's, if you plug your firewire harddrive into the camera and record directly off of it, instead of the DV tape, you get a 4:4:4 compression ratio. I am not certain with the HVX200, or if anyone who has tried this, let me know, but recording to the P2 cards gives you a 4:2:2 compression, but if the camera is running straight to the harddrive, would/do you get a 4:4:4 compresion off of the HVX200? I would think so, because then the camera, by using the harddrive would be using a true HD format and should then give you better quality than recording on magnetic P2 strips that are only slightly thicker than a DV tape. Let me know. Thanks.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

Ive heard that on the new XL HD's, if you plug your firewire harddrive into the camera and record directly off of it, instead of the DV tape, you get a 4:4:4 compression ratio. I am not certain with the HVX200, or if anyone who has tried this, let me know, but recording to the P2 cards gives you a 4:2:2 compression, but if the camera is running straight to the harddrive, would/do you get a 4:4:4 compresion off of the HVX200? I would think so, because then the camera, by using the harddrive would be using a true HD format and should then give you better quality than recording on magnetic P2 strips that are only slightly thicker than a DV tape. Let me know. Thanks.

Hi,

4:4:4 to 4:2:2 is compression, but I think you might be misusing the term on this occasion. To achieve 4:4:4 you would need Dual stream HD-SDI. To record an uncompressed dual stream HD-SDI you would need a fast raid of hard drives.

Unfortunately there is no HD-SDI output on the HVX200. I am sure you will record exactly the same codec to P2 card as to a harddrive. The harddrive will record for longer!

Stephen

#3 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:41 PM

Regardless of your output format, the image has already been processed and compressed before it gets there, so you get the exact same output no matter what. 4:4:4 is not possible on the HVX. Assuming you have the camera set to record in HD, you are using "a true HD format" already. Your storage medium has absolutely no effect on this.

Also, P2 cards aren't magnetic, they're solid state memory, like what you have in a USB keychain.

#4 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:04 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the camera sections of the camcorders "BilliamFilms" mentions support up to 4:2:2 color output.

On a related note, ReelStream is supposedly now shipping a relatively low-cost, better-than-SD resolution 10-bit 4:4:4 modification for DVX-100 series camcorders:
http://www.reel-stream.com/

#5 Ben Schwartz

Ben Schwartz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • New York, NY

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:53 PM

On a related note, ReelStream is supposedly now shipping a relatively low-cost, better-than-SD resolution 10-bit 4:4:4 modification for DVX-100 series camcorders:
http://www.reel-stream.com/

Yes...it supposedly records uncompressed 4:4:4 direct from the DVX-100's A/D converter prior to processing. Their website says it allows for an output up to 1540x990! Has anyone tested this system?

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Visual Products

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets