Refinishing Quartz Light Reflectors?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:53 PM

I came across a pair of very old Colortran quartz light fixtures (1000w "Quartz Kings") which look like they would be serviceable if fitted with new lamps. The problem is that the reflectors on both (which are a pebble-finish silver metal) are discolored - one much worse than the other. Does anyone make a paint to refinish reflectors? Obviously, it would have to be extremely heat-resistant - I would rather not have my lights burst into flames . . .

#2 david west

david west
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:02 PM

are they plated chrome?

you might get a quote from a plating shop if they are.... you might get several qoutes and find they vary widely too....

#3 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:03 PM

Yeah, they're plated. I don't think they're worth much, if anything, so I was hoping for a low-dollar solution. Otherwise, I can throw them out - no great loss. But if there were something I could just spray the reflectors with, that would be great.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:10 PM

Yeah, they're plated. I don't think they're worth much, if anything, so I was hoping for a low-dollar solution. Otherwise, I can throw them out - no great loss. But if there were something I could just spray the reflectors with, that would be great.

In the spraypaint section of a hardware store you can get paint made for BBQ grills that is high-heat-resistant. I'm not 100% positive but they might make that in metallic finishes.

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

CineLab

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Metropolis Post