Thank you,

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12174 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:19 AM

Hi,

Look at JVC's stuff. They make a wide variety of monitors which probably won't break that budget by too much (though they will certainly break it). Many of them aren't full-pitch HD, as in you're not quite seeing 1280 pixels per line, but they're "okayish" at that price range.

Phil

#3 Andy O'Neil

Andy O'Neil
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Other
  • Asheville, NC (USA)

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:38 PM

Thanks, Phil, you rock.

Worked on a shoot several weeks ago with the Varicam (I wasn't shooting of course), but we used a ~$600.00 flat screen television from Best Buy as our reference monitor. Is that just crazy? It seemed to work fine, but I guess I don't really know what to look for in a monitor ... I mean, I want it to be "what-you-see-is-what-you-get" for the most part. Focus, Color balance, Exposure, etc. I guess it also depends on what the final output is going to be. I mean, what do I really really need?

Thank you,

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12174 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:59 PM

Hi,

An LCD might show you framing and focus if you were lucky. They often do some really hideous up/down sampling which makes anything look soft, and obviously LCD colour and exposure information are completely unreliable.

I think you should look at something like a JVC DT-V100CG, which now I check is actually well under your budget. However, I'm not sure that it does 720p/24 (although I believe the Varicam output is 60i anyway). I know it does 1080/24Psf.

Phil

#5 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:54 PM

An LCD might show you framing and focus if you were lucky. They often do some really hideous up/down sampling which makes anything look soft, and obviously LCD colour and exposure information are completely unreliable.
Phil

Andy,

I'm using the Panasonic BT-LH1700W 17" LCD monitor with my Varicam. Price is a little under $3000. The monitor is very close to a calibrated (white balanced, not just color bars) CRT and is sharper than 20in CRT as well. Blacks are a little milky compared to a CRT though. It actually looks better in a room with some ambient light rather than in a black tent. I've even used it on the beach in bright sun and could still see an image (critical viewing did require a serious shade though)

Other pluses: It is light weight, runs on ac/dc, has HD-SDI and SD-SDI inputs, Analog HD and SD inputs, has a gamma corrector (approximate) for Film Rec mode on a Varicam, and a crude, but very useful waveform monitor.

I just used it today on a shoot with a Sony f-900 and it color matched a just calibrated Sony CRT very very well. And to my surprise, it did not look fuzzy when down-sampling the f-900 to 720 pixels and was even a little better than the 20in sony for judging focus, though not quite as sharp as 23in 1280 pixel LCD display.

Best of luck with your up-coming film.

-bruce

And to my surprise, it did not look fuzzy when down-sampling the f-900 to 720 pixels and was even a little better than the 20in sony for judging focus, though not quite as sharp as 23in 1280 pixel LCD display.

Oops, I meant "1080 pixel LCD" display.

#6 david garcia

david garcia

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:50 AM

We're using that one too. It's really been nice. Street price is $2700.

#7 Sean Azze

Sean Azze
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • P.A.

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:56 PM

So can you use just a standard def monitor when shooting on the hvx? Is a High def monitor required to just get an image, or more to get what the image will truly look like in post?

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Technodolly

Tai Audio

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Willys Widgets