1 reply to this topic

#1 jijhh

jijhh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Student

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:25 PM

I am shooting a 15 minute short on S16 and wanted to know what the optimal method of digitizing my film will be for output to DVD. I'm editing on a standard G5 on FCP and outputting through DVD Studio Pro. Do I need to edit with certain settings to output to a widescreen DVD? How do I need to build the DVD so that it plays the entire frame that S16 gives me.

Thanks

Andrew

#2 Joshua Reis

Joshua Reis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:40 PM

Hi, there are a number of things that you can do or have done to produce a high quality DVD. First, I am assuming that this is a NTSC project, not PAL. What tape format did you transfer to..Digital Betcam, DVCPRO50, DVCAM, DV? If you want a 16x9 (widescreen without letterbox) you will have needed to performed an Anamorphic telecine transfer. Remember that Super 16 is 1.66, not 1.78(16:9) so some cropping of the frame or mattign will be necessary, but its minor. Most, if not a all retail feature DVDs are anamoprphic and have been encoded at 23.98 frames per second. Thus the movie can be played back in progressive on a computer or properly set progressive scan player + display combo. All set top DVD players will do a 3:2 pull up to display 23.98 material at 29.97 interlaced for standard NTSC television. Now here are the important steps, if you want a 23.98 encode, you must have made your edit in FCP at 23.98 frames. Its my guess that you will be encoding with Compressor. When you compress your 23.98 movie, the encode must be flagged as 16:9, and progressive. if the file isn't flgged progressive, a progressive scan player or the computer will deinterlace the M2V while playign the DVD, which will result in a loss of resolution. Remember to build all your DVD menus artwork 16:9 720x480, but use a 1.2 pixel aspect ratio which can be set in Photoshop. You can also build your artwork at 864x486 with square pixels and resize to 720x480 and get the appropriate proportions. if You edited to this point at 29.97, and have your project matered to tape, there are hardware encoders outt here that will do inverse telecine and give you a 23.98 encode even if the cadence (3:2 pull down) is not consistent betwen cuts.

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS