Sean Porter

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • seattle, wa

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:05 AM

hey everybody. new to the board; sorry my first post would naturally be asking for help. so far some really great stuff here...

anyways i am shooting a spec trailer next week for a feature i will be dp'ing later on in the year. we're going s16mm for the trailer to keep costs down, knowing we are going to a DI and viewing via digital projection or on DVD.

the story is set here in seattle and is about the street youth culture - what drives kids to leave their suburban homes in search of identity in the urban city. lots of tough content, it will be quite a personal feat to really get the directors vision across: maintaining respect for the characters and content despite the horrible circumstances. anyways i wont go into too much detail but i want to give a little context so your suggestions wont be shots in the dark.

the city is the great escape for these kids. and nighttime is core of that freedom. to do drugs, to tag, to find themselves. i am going for a vivid nightlife, punchy colors, lots of available sodium vapor, mercury, metal hallide, etc. more or less contrasty for a slightly 'gritty' feel without the "16mm WFO pushed 2 stops" look. id rather go deliberate and refined.

i have only shot fuji, and while it was more circumstantial than bias, we will be shooting fuji based on buget (and familiarity). i will have a ~2 ton G&E package with inkies to juniors and a 1.2HMI but i want to use as little supplemental as possible.

my initial reaction was to try the reala 500d, since i knew i would be dealing with mostly available, low level light. however after reading many comments from other cinematographers it sounds like the stock is alittle washy and deals with 'mixed light' by desaturation. not exactly what i was going for. especially hearing that most sucess was found by overexposing up to 2/3 of a stop - probably not an option here.

to get the 'look' should i try going with 250D push-1 in stead? i like the idea of more contrast, however my inexeperience prevents me from knowing how the push will adversly affect skin tones under mercury/sodium, etc...

although i've only been shooting film for about a year, i cant help but feel very old minded. i want what i want in the camera, not in the post house. i'd rather learn the hard way then shoot ultra-safe and ultimately ultra-uninteresting. i havent quite perfected my 'guess at the f-stop by eye' trick yet (a great thread either way) but obviously with a few numbers my decision might be easier. i suppose im looking more at opinions between the stocks and the possibility of pushing and subsequent effects on the colors... or do i give in and go for information now and 'fix it in post'?

sorry for the long-winded question, and thank you in advance.

sean porter

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:37 AM

I'd go with 500T Eterna instead, pushed one stop if necessary, with fast lenses, to capture all of those nighttime colors. 500D Reala is too grainy.

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:37 AM

Don't always assume Kodak is out of your price range. Talk to your Kodak sales rep about the possibility of using 7218 or maybe even 7299.

Push processing has a price --- both in dollars and image quality, and you might be better off starting with the speed and latitude of the VISION2 films.

#4 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:33 AM

I'd go with 500T Eterna instead, pushed one stop if necessary, with fast lenses, to capture all of those nighttime colors. 500D Reala is too grainy.

David,

Do you know where I can check out an example of this, other than shooting a test? I am considering this stock in Super 16. Shooting will be at night in a car driving through the Big Dig, a monster public works network of tunnels underneath Boston. Lots of flourescent banks and sodium lights I think? Grain I like, what the grain looks like matters a great deal. I know a test is essential and I fully intend to do one, I'm just looking for examples. The Fuji rep even said that he can send a 35mm cassette for a still camera with any stock loaded. I will test with that film, extracting a Super 16 size image from it.

Chris

#5 Joshua Reis

Joshua Reis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:49 PM

David,
Do you know where I can check out an example of this, other than shooting a test? I am considering this stock in Super 16.
Chris

Hi, Fuji has a Free DVD with samples of their stocks. In some cases they even compare 35mm and Super 16 footage (NTSC). It can be ordered from their web-site. Here is the link.

http://www.fujifilm..../MPDemoReel.jsp

#6 F Bulgarelli

F Bulgarelli
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:41 AM

Although I'm not familiar with the fuji stocks. 7218 is an amazing stock, specially when it comes to its very fine grain structure.
if you can, do a comparison.

good luck

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Opal

Glidecam

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery