• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Gross

Greg Gross
  • Sustaining Members
  • 869 posts
  • Harrisburg,PA

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:30 PM

What would everybody think about having our own yearly forum film festival? Basically
it could be limited to short films. Best short film would earn distinction award from Cine-
matography.Com. We could have two catagories, students and professionals. Maybe some-
one like David Mullen ASC could moderate a panel which would select the winners. Of course
providing that he would wish to do so. I personally cannot think of anyone better. The members
of the panel would vote for best student/professional short film. Maybe it would be possible to
obtain sponsors such as Kodak,Arri,Panavision,ASC,Minolta. Lets say a student for example may
win a Minolta light meter,certificate of distinction for best student film submitted. Of course film,
digital cinematography,HD,DV.

Greg Gross

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:41 PM

Not to throw a wet blanket on the idea, because it's not a bad one, but I've been one of the judges for contest at studentfilmmakers.com for two years in a row, and it's a chore just to watch the dozen or so finalists that I'm sent. You're lucky if there are two or three watchable pieces in the bunch. I can't imagine anyone having the patience to watch ALL the entries.

But you do learn a lot about what young people are interested in making films about these days, and what stylistic tricks they have taken to heart. Actually, style & technique are generally not problems for student filmmakers -- it's CONTENT.

STORY, STORY, STORY...

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:51 PM

Hi,

Also, someone would have to pay for the bandwidth!

But I agree with Mr. Mullen; there's already far more iffy-quality short film fests than the world needs.

Phil

#4 Greg Gross

Greg Gross
  • Sustaining Members
  • 869 posts
  • Harrisburg,PA

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:05 PM

Point well taken gentlemen and thank you for your posts. I was considering possibility
of forum getting some sponsorship for costs. I would not object myself to an entry fee.
I know this issue would become highly debatable though. Of course you are right about
a multitude of film festivals on the filmmaking scene. Abundant weak! stories.

Greg Gross

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Technodolly

Opal

CineTape

The Slider

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post