10 replies to this topic

#1 Cole Webley

Cole Webley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:23 AM

First time out shooting 35mm so I am looking for feedback on lighting, camera movement, etc. on this project I did for film school.

I shot it all on 5289 rated at 1000ASA and pushed it a stop in processing. It was lit mostly with 1200w HMI's and some 575's giving fill through some 4x4 frames of 216, 250, and I believe opal. I lit the sidewalk with directional light straight above with the 1200w's. It was hard to get enough light because some of it I was shooting at a 45 degree shutter angle and then for some shots I was at 120 fps. The effects guy I was working for is pretty good but he hasn't finished the masking perfectly in front of the Adidas symbol--don't look too closely!

Anyhow, I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks guys.

Here is the address:

http://www.brilliantcastle.com/adidas

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:20 AM

Wow. Great spot. I could see that being on the air no problem. Very nice work. I love the contrast and I'm surprised at how fine grained it looks for being pushed. Of course, I'm looking at it on my computer screen, so that may help it a bit. The shot at the end of the kid looking at the wall may be a bit soft, but other than that I can't find anything to criticize.

#3 Chris Graham

Chris Graham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Director

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:50 PM

Really like the creative concept. Are the reflections off the wall from the HMIs when the kid is introduced starring at the wall? I guess if the viewer were to see those two spots they couldn't tell the difference from regular lights within the alley. the 2 point set up is somewhat noticeable. I think its overdone with the final graphix since your audience will get the point. With him walking out of the frame would be good enough, and then add "adidas" text at the bottom or some slogan of some sort. love the work nonetheless!

Edited by ShootStr8, 01 February 2006 - 05:51 PM.

#4 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

Kewl spot! Whos did the music? I like the rhythm of the ad.
I was also impressed by the low grain for such a high speed stock. What camera and lens did u use?

#5 Cole Webley

Cole Webley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback gentleman. The shot where he looks at the wall is a bit soft, dissapointing but it was hard to cut around--my fault. The reflections on the wall are pretty obvious--I must admit...I remember when I was shooting trying to solve that problem but time constraints wouldn't allow for much problem solving. We can only hope most of our audience wouldn't be able to distinguish between regular alley lights and our nice 575's. I am beginning to agree with the advice that the Adidas graphix is too much. Point well taken...maybe some kind of slogan, or just let him walk out of frame. The music isn't done yet but I have grown acustom to this song by A Tribe Called Quest--but I doubt we could ever get permission. Also, I must admit that I remembered wrong about pushing the film! I was thinking about it again last night and I remember that I didn't push it--sorry--it was Kodak Vision 5289 (800T) and I rated it at 500 or 400 and then crunched it a bit in Telecine--I had spoken with some other DP's and they mentioned this would help hide the grain and also increase contrast. It seems to have worked well except for the shots that I underexposed. Thanks Again.

#6 Chris Graham

Chris Graham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:56 AM

it's still great work to keep on your reel. i recommend music toward the European market & late night spots from sports networks. music; something like fast 160+bpm drum'n'bass or breakbeat...a fast tempo would really make the whole commercial stand out. the brits, aussies, japanese, & euro's are really into that style of music for their sports commercial, and simply because that style started overseas. i could help you with sound effects, for example certain clashes & snares whenever the kid hits the ball. i do sound work & am a general music producer. little elements like so add more excitement. good luck gee-nious! ;)

#7 Cole Webley

Cole Webley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:09 AM

Oh yeah, I shot it on a Mitchell Mark II--old, sounds like a train, but gets the job done.

#8 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:39 AM

I think it is a great spec. I wouldn't focus on adding music so much but rather try find a good foley artist and drive it from the rain sound fx with the wall crumbling and the kicking sound.

I like the subtle art direction (not sure if this was budget driven or intentional)

thanks

Rolfe

#9 Chris Graham

Chris Graham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:42 AM

I think it is a great spec. I wouldn't focus on adding music so much but rather try find a good foley artist and drive it from the rain sound fx with the wall crumbling and the kicking sound.

I like the subtle art direction (not sure if this was budget driven or intentional)

thanks

Rolfe

music is a huge part for a sports ad like so, especially if its geared to youth. unless you're doing a downtempo samba beat where a guy is happy and juggling with the ball in the streets of Rio then music isn't so much a concern. but all there is a kid and a wall, nothing too exciting, musical elements will improve the music. that's just my directorial choice and opinion, and i do love futbol!

#10 WLphoto

WLphoto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other
  • Tampa

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:34 PM

This is a film school project? Great job!

I Love the concept. And the concept is the most important part IMHO.

A few suggestions:

As a long time product photographer, I would like to see at least one tight shot of the shoe with the logo visible. Maybe the shoe splashing, impacting the ball, or flexing in slow motion and not too much mud on the logo area.

Second from last shot. I would like to see more pride and satisfaction in the actor's expression. He just finished his masterpiece!

Final shot. I don't like looking at the actors backside when he bends over- I can't tell what he is doing and I am getting mooned. I would suggest turning him 90 degrees to the camera so we can see him pick the ball up. Maybe light him as a silhouette?

I think you have a winner on your hands. Definitely find out the name of the marketing director at Adidas and present it to him/her. They might just buy the concept from you and reshoot it, they might buy the film as is, or they might even hire you to direct some more!

Good luck!

W.C.

#11 Julian Acosta

Julian Acosta
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:08 AM

Dude who was your focus puller!

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Metropolis Post