Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:37 AM

Hey good folks,

What do you think of using FF V2 as a pitch tool to gather investors? "Momma always told me, 'Never show a fool a half finished picture." A previsualized project output to Flash file might get closer to helping an investor see what you are talking about.

#2 Trevor Greenfield

Trevor Greenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Director
  • North Idaho

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:43 AM

I've thought of this with previs tools, but why not shoot a trailer for a feature if you're serious about it. That way the investors really have something to look at. For more complicated scenes, sure pre vis could be a very useful tool. But if just looking for a way to show your project to investors, I wouldn't want decent looking at best cgi representing my vision. But if it was to demonstrate a million dollar vfx and gci scene, by all means I would want to have it mapped out, planned out, pre visioned etc etc and show whatever the investor wants to see.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:17 PM

Storyboards have been used to sell major motion pictures to studios but they're just tools. It's been my expirence that what's going to sell your project is YOU. Your enthusiasum, your drive, your confidence, your knowledge, your charm, your tenasity, and your preparedness which is where the storyboards come in. Preface it with something like "This is what we plan to do. " then don't count on JUST handing them the storyboards but walk them through the film, painting a mental picture for them while showing them the storyboards. Let them see the movie vividly in their minds.

Traliers have also worked as tools, as will complete budgets, srcipt readings and a miriad of other tricks and techniques but the one thing you should always do is put yourself in their place. Learn to read people and find out what it is they want, what will make them want to give you the money. Ego, philantropy, bussiness fun, bordom. figure it out, then do what ever you can do within your personal ethical limits to convice them YOU are the person they should invest their money with, because YOU will give them what they need to fulfill that want.

I heard Martin Scorsese say in an interview once that there are a lot of people who pitch a better movie in the front office than what they end up making on the set. I paraphrase, but you get the idea. The pitch is almost more inportant than the product. That's not to say you shouldn't try to make great movies, only that without funding, you may not get the chance to make any movies, so take this aspect of filmmaking at least as seriously as you do anything else in your career. just my opionion

#4 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:12 AM

I took a look at Frame Forge, and honestly, the images it generates look really really bad. Like, something out of a video game circa 1996. It may be helpful for creating storyboards for your personal use on set, but there's no way I'd ever show something from Frame Forge to investors.

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam