"The Natural"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher Wedding

Christopher Wedding
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:51 AM

I'm watching "The Natural" right now and this time I'm only admiring how great this film looks...what kind of stock did they use? Also, it looks like there was some net used on the lens...can anyone confirm this? I just hope I can one day shoot something as great looking as this film.

Also, Mr. Mullen mentioned some shots were both B&W as well as out-of-focus in color...which ones were those? I didn't see them in the opening...maybe I misunderstood.

Thanks,

Chris

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:08 AM

Everything from the time Roy Hobbs was a youth until he is shot by Barbara Hershey was treated subtly by taking the original color photography and making a b&w and color dupe of the same footage, and then combining them back over each other, but throwing the color information out-of-focus over the b&w version. So you can a desaturation effect and a diffusion effect.

The movie was shot on the only two Kodak color negative stocks of the day, 5247 (125T) and 5294 (400T), with some occasional diffusion (usually SupraFrosts, similar to ProMists.) I don't recall much net diffusion except maybe now & then (like the scene where Kim Basinger drops her fur coat and reveals she is naked -- I vaguely recall that being netted.) Mostly I remember the SupraFrost diffusion.

#3 Christopher Wedding

Christopher Wedding
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:32 AM

You da man.

#4 Ben Schwartz

Ben Schwartz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • New York, NY

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:30 AM

There's a section in Blain Brown's excellent "Cinematography: Theory and Practice" devoted to The Natural if you're interested. He describes it as "a film that uses light as a metaphor and as storytelling perhaps better than any of the modern era."

#5 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:01 PM

There's a section in Blain Brown's excellent "Cinematography: Theory and Practice" devoted to The Natural if you're interested. He describes it as "a film that uses light as a metaphor and as storytelling perhaps better than any of the modern era."

My Dad has several full-frame close-ups in "The Natural" as a fan during the final play-off game, filmed in my home town of Buffalo, NY.

And his cousin (Frank Pytlak) was a catcher during that era, playing for both the Cleveland Indians and the Boston Red Sox:

http://sportsillustr...lding/8527.html

http://www.time.com/...,789173,00.html

Posted Image

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC