3 replies to this topic

#1 sonyrelic

sonyrelic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:22 PM

I'm sure this has already been asked, so if someone could direct me to the info, that would be great. Kodak's website says to use 85 when correcting 500T, 200T and the new E 64T. I've heard some people say 85B is it and some say 85A. Which one is it? Thanks.

#2 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:36 PM

I'm sure this has already been asked, so if someone could direct me to the info, that would be great. Kodak's website says to use 85 when correcting 500T, 200T and the new E 64T. I've heard some people say 85B is it and some say 85A. Which one is it? Thanks.

First off: The 85 filter is NOT the same as an 85A. The correct name for a No. 85 filter is just No. 85 sometimes known as a Type A conversion filter. This might be engraved on the filter as 85 (space) Type A. The 85A is a different and obsolete filter.

The films you mention are all made for 3200K tungsten lights so should in theory be used with the No. 85B. In practice the No. 85 works a little better for the negative films according to how the film is sensitized. The 85 gives a slightly colder reproduction, which is easily adjusted for when doing a transfer. Do not use an 85A if you can even find one, it is obsolete and the wrong color.

Some people have said that the 85B works a bit better with the 64T than does the 85. This seems to be borne out by some examples that have been posted on the internet. Since your camera already has an 85 built in (most likely) is is doubtful that disabling it and using an 85B instead is worth the trouble.

#3 sonyrelic

sonyrelic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

I actually removed the in-camera filter, but I was under the impression that IT was an 85B. So I guess I'm good now, because all my filters are 85's. Thanks.

#4 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:29 PM

I actually removed the in-camera filter, but I was under the impression that IT was an 85B. So I guess I'm good now, because all my filters are 85's. Thanks.

That internal filter was an 85. Get yourself an 85B if you can as I think it makes a slight difference. Enough for me to say "go get yourself one".

Rick

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

CineTape

The Slider

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks