DP wanted for digital short, funded by UK FILM COUNCIL

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy Cheng

Jimmy Cheng
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:10 PM

Hello folks,

I am a director/writer currently in pre production of a supernatural horror via B3 Media's
"Blank Slate" Digital Shorts scheme, which is funded by the UK Film Council. www.b3media.net

I am looking for a DP who can create that 24fps cinematic vision to bring out the nuances and
atmosphere of the genre, particularly in the muted colour schemes and movement favoured by Takashi Miike, David Fincher, Hideo Nakata and Chanwook Park.

International distribution is already in place and part of the budget has been allocated for a DP. All expenses
and accomodation will be payed for and ego less working conditions are guaranteed!

Email me on: Jimmy@aspectratioproductions.com

Or send me a reel:

CO/ Jimmy Cheng
Aspect Ratio Productions
The Business Centre
Harvest Studios
Northampton
NN1 4AQ

www.aspectratioproductions.com

We are looking to shoot early march. Thanks guys!

#2 Alexandre Lucena

Alexandre Lucena
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:45 PM

Jimmy

I have posted a short fiction under the *Please Critique my Work* HDV Short Fiction section. I would be glad if you would take your time and watch it. You do not have to download special software. Simply click on the free demo and
it will come to you. If you feel the need to watch it uncompressed let me know.

Best Regards

Alexandre Lucena

alexandre@oficinadeimagens.com.br

#3 Jimmy Cheng

Jimmy Cheng
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:51 PM

Hello again, my producer told me that B3 Media/UK Film Council will need to see a DVD reel of a DP's work which satisfies the aforementioned criteria so if anyone is interested please send me a reel.

My intention as a director and writer is to create a horror short that does not regurgitate the many hackneyed cliches which seem to crop up again and again in so many horror films ie. THE FALSE SCARE - A dark figure jumps out from the shadows. Jenna screams. "Hey Brad, quit fooling around. You really scared me..." ad nauseum.

So little is credited to DP's who bring out the true essence of the much maligned genre of horror but I believe a good DP is as much a storyteller as the director and writer.

Anyway, time to step off the soapbox and to give a huge thanks to everyone who have replied so far.

Look forward to your reels.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11936 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:48 AM

Hi,

I'm surprised. Usually the UK Film Council seems to be deathly allergic to anything of any real photographic quality - all the stuff I've seen of theirs has looked absolutely terrible.

I'm not sure it would be all that hard to compete in this arena!

Phil

#5 Jimmy Cheng

Jimmy Cheng
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:12 PM

Hi Phil

You are absolutely correct! Maybe a part of the problem is due to the budget of the New Cinema fund which isn't much at all. The producer and myself waived our fees so we could put the money where it is needed.

Personally I want to make a film that has fantastic cinematography. I relayed my intention to the board in my initial short list interview regarding the cinematography and why I needed a DP. A DP is an integral part of the storytelling process.

Another possible reason is, (no offence to any other directors, just an observation from experience), some directors like the hands on approach without appreciating what a DP can bring to the project. Sometimes out of necessity, often times out of ego.

In my opinion, that is an unhealthy attitude and ultimately, it is the project which suffers in the end.

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Metropolis Post