#1 Arni Heimir

Arni Heimir
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Other
  • Reykjavik/Barcelona

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:57 PM

Do you guys think that filmmakers, including cinematographers are entitled to residuals?

the news bulletin in imago.org asserts the following:

"The American position is that having been paid for their work the artists who come together to make a film are not entitled to any further payments or any rights whatsoever over the control of the film."

Do you guys agree with the American position. Since it is the producer who is footing the bill.

-------------
Árni Heimir
Iceland

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:08 PM

Personally, I'm sort of glad I don't have to be chasing residuals, profit points, etc. -- I'd rather just be paid well up front. Especially if in exchange for profit participation, they lower salaries.

However, I do think that DP's should be paid for their time spent in post color-correcting, supervising the answer printing, etc. Currently I put in at least two to three weeks of unpaid work when I work on the answer printing and home video transfers of my features.

#3 Arni Heimir

Arni Heimir
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Other
  • Reykjavik/Barcelona

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:15 PM

Personally, I'm sort of glad I don't have to be chasing residuals, profit points, etc. -- I'd rather just be paid well up front. Especially if in exchange for profit participation, they lower salaries.

However, I do think that DP's should be paid for their time spent in post color-correcting, supervising the answer printing, etc. Currently I put in at least two to three weeks of unpaid work when I work on the answer printing and home video transfers of my features.

I agree with you David. I enjoy your insight. On the other hand, in Iceland, the government picks up a considerably amount of the production costs. So it is unfair, in that situation for the production to receive all the profits and paying their crew slave wages.

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Opal

Wooden Camera