camera movement, dutch head

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cruz

cruz
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:09 PM

I am doing a research on camera movements, so soon there might be some more tricky questions, anyway
maybe you remember any movies where the dutch tilt is used- in motion. I thought 'bout Natural born killers where camera remains tilted thru whole scene, but couldn't remind any movie where you could see tilting in motion, any ideas?

p.s. hope it's not wrong forum for such post

#2 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

I believe that Alfred Hitchcock's "Notorious" uses a moving dutch tilt in the scene where Cary Grant confronts the drunken Ingrid Bergman and convinces her to spy on the Nazi friends of her father.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:29 PM

If you mean that the camera becomes more titled as the shot goes on, Joe Dante / John Hora did some of that in "Gremlins" and their episode in "Twilight Zone: The Movie" by mounting the camera crooked on the head so that when you tilted up, the camera pitched to one side.

You can also see this and other camera wackiness in Sam Raimi's "Quick and the Dead". Probably in the early Evil Dead movies too.

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:29 PM

Funny, I just mentioned this in another thread.

In "East of Eden," the camera actively dutches with the movement of James Dean going back & forth on a swing.

In "Rebel Without a Cause," the camera dramatically dutches in shot in the famous scene with Dean (again) arguing with his parents after the car racing accident. The mother tries to get power over her son by climbing to the top of the stairs, above the son in the middle and the father at the bottom. But the camera's active dutch move illustrates that they are now on the same level.

#5 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:19 PM

I am doing a research on camera movements, so soon there might be some more tricky questions, anyway
maybe you remember any movies where the dutch tilt is used- in motion. I thought 'bout Natural born killers where camera remains tilted thru whole scene, but couldn't remind any movie where you could see tilting in motion, any ideas?

Oddly enough there's one in 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner'.

Isobel Sanford walks up to Sidney Poitier to tell him he better not be trying to puull on over on K.Houghton.
When she gets in his face the camera dutches; as she leaves the room, it undutches.

---LV

#6 Micah Fernandez

Micah Fernandez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:42 AM

any ideas?

The movie Hero, after Tony Leung has his way with foxy Zhang Zi Yi and before Maggie Cheung runs her sword through him.

Abel Cine

The Slider

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Technodolly

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera