low hovering fog effect...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisG111

ChrisG111
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:33 PM

So I've already posted about a lighting issue I had on this film in another forum and it was so helpful so I thought I'd try this again. Same movie, different scene.

We are shooting in a club. We are using Kodak vision2 7217 200T. My director wants a kind of cloud hovering just above the ground, but not too high. In describing it he mentioned putting dry ice in key spots around the club, but frankly there is little about that that seems safe to me. Between extras getting burned and people suffocating to death because of poor ventilation, I was wondering if there is some kind of fog machine that can do the same thing.

Now this is tricky because we will have fog machines to add haze to the air so as to see the club lights, but we also need this thick heavy cloud at people's feet and legs. Any thoughts?

thanks!
chris

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:48 PM

Now this is tricky because we will have fog machines to add haze to the air so as to see the club lights, but we also need this thick heavy cloud at people's feet and legs. Any thoughts?
thanks!
chris

Dry ice is the only method I've ever heard of for ground-clinging fog. There are theatrical machines that can pump it out of a big hose -- you don't need to set-up little cooking fires or anything like that.

Oh, correction, I see on a Rosco list that they make a chiller attachment that cools the fog from their foggers to make it low-lying. See:
http://www.stageligh...html?program=TF
or
http://www.rosco.com...fog/chiller.asp

Here is a large dry ice fogger:
http://www.citytheat...com/fog3300.htm

DYI:
http://www.halloween.../dryice1-1.html

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:52 PM

You can get a smoke machine that creates a low lying fog effect.

On a recent film we had a one that is used in clubs - it uses a special fog fluid and has an ice compartment. The fog effect lasted a reasonable length of time, about the same as the normal smoke. You should be able to get one in places that supply clubs and DJ kit.

We also had a mist machine for a haze effect.

#4 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:11 AM

in theatre we use 'pea-soupers' basically a big plastic tank with a coil to heat up water in which a wire tray of dry ice is dropped in and then shot out of a hose - we often crank them right up hot as they get then drop a full to the brim tray of dry ice as deep as we can get it - woooosh! never had any issues with people passing out, however we have on occasion obscured the show being a little over-zealous and/or that in combination with a weird air-flow due to audience heat/aircon etc...

a very simple device - have also used them to obscure techs as they go onstage to clear dropped props, fix damaged staging, practical jokes etc... just hold your breath

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:25 AM

Hi,

Dry ice, every time.

The heavy foggers are OK, but they produce grey rather than white fog, it doesn't stick low as long as dry ice fog, and it dissipates upward into conventional haze once it warms up.

Dry ice may be a pain in the neck, but the quality of the effect is unsurpassed.

Phil

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape