John Carreon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Orange County, CA.

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:19 PM

Hey everyone,

I've used a wireless Modulus when AC'ing on Super 16 and I wanted to make one for my personal use when I shoot on Prosumer DV cameras (i.e. XL2, HD-FX1)

Searching on the web I saw lot's of wireless video transmitters ranging from $40-$250 bucks...

http://www.shopzilla...id--21453102734

Something along the lines of those...has anyone ever used these or something else. Seems feasible but I just wanted to get some feedback if anyone has used these.

I imagine the only problem is powering up the modulus that's exporting the signal from the camera to the receiver...either somehow from the camera itself or another battery pack...I just don't want it to get too bulky because then you might as well just have cables dragging around.

Thanks everyone,

John

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:31 AM

Hi,

I have a couple of those sorts of units that I'm working on recasing and making a little more pro-friendly.

If you're willing to steer close to the wind on the radio communications laws you can even replace the antennae with higher gain types for improved performance (get 2.4GHz units and use wireless ethernet antenna accessories.)

The main problem I have is that mine are designed for 9V input; the L7805 regulator they use to derive 5V for the RF modules is capable of going to over 20, so a standard 14.4V battery would be fine, but I'm going to have to uprate the heatsink on the regulator.

I hope to be able to make the transmitter much smaller than it was when supplied commercially, but the receiver is going to have to remain rather bulky.

Phil

#3 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:43 AM

John,
Power is probably your only problem. I supply power and video through one cable to the modulus, but it's easy to send them seperately. Of course, it depends on what kind of camera you have, and if that camera has any kind of accessory port to get power from. Your other option would be a battery belt, but that could be a pain. Give Fred Davis a call @ 626-794-1534. He makes all my cables and would be the most likely person I know to have an idea of how to make a cable for you. I know he's made a lot of custom, one time, cables before, so he may be able to help.

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

The Slider

Glidecam

Metropolis Post