AUDIO QUESTION: 2 people talking on a busy street

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LondonFilmMan

LondonFilmMan
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:15 PM

How is it best to film 2 people talking on a busy street? Can I do this with one camera or is it best with 2, I mean, I'd like to avoid lip-sync. I just, for some reason, can't get my head around this. Ambient noise will pass by and be unique, but I can't really afford 2 cameras, unless one was say, a chaper Arri 16BL. Is my question clear? And can you help?

#2 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

First of all, you are asking two unrelated questions.

AUDIO: You have a few options: 1) Record live with a boom mic on an early Sunday morning with very little traffic, 2) Record live with lavalier mics, again early Sunday morning, 3) record a scratch track and ADR the actors in post production, or 4) cut the dialog from that scene. In all these cases you will want to record ambient sound of traffic on a busier day.

CAMERA: Unless you intend to show two camera angles simultaneously in a split screen, you have no need to film both camera angles simultaneously. What every other film production does is to shoot the scene in sections, normally getting coverage of 1) a wide angle shot of all actors, 2) closeup shots of each of the actors speaking their lines, 3) reaction shots of actors not speaking, and 4)"over the shoulder" combinations of speaking and non-speaking actors.

I suggest you take in a good book. "Cinematography" by Kris Malkiewicz and David Mullen comes to mind. It and dozens of other books take you through the production process step by step, so you don't wind up on location with no clue of what to do next. And look, they even sell it on this site! How's that for one-stop shopping?

http://www.cinematog.../shop/books.asp

Edited by Robert Hughes, 05 February 2006 - 04:04 PM.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Opal