Light meters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 filmguy

filmguy
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:29 PM

Can some one please recommend a good light meter for me to invest in. I am shooting my first feature length film and I want to buy a good light meter. However, I don't want to spend too much money. Any ideas?

#2 Joe Gioielli

Joe Gioielli
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:50 PM

Can some one please recommend a good light meter for me to invest in. I am shooting my first feature length film and I want to buy a good light meter. However, I don't want to spend too much money. Any ideas?

Well, meters are important. Granted you may not need to spend a thousand dollars on it, this is not a job for a $5 ebay special. Figure to spend at least a few hundred bucks. Get one from a good dealer that you can trust, and select a good company. Then find one that does a little more than you need. I like Sekonic, but research them and see what you think.

Joe

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:54 PM

Hi,

Do a search, this has been discussed many times. The Sekonic dual spot/incident are good if you only have 1 meter.

Stephen

#4 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:06 PM

I don't really get that, if you direct you don't need one. It's the DoP's job... Get a director's finder, instead !

#5 rickeisenstein

rickeisenstein
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:36 AM

The Sekonic L-308 is a good beginners light meter. It is the same price as the old sekonic with the needle that mostr people used in film school, but it's digital. The dome on the light meter is smaller than those you would see on most Hollywood fim sets, but for the money, it's a great light meter.

#6 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:57 PM

Can some one please recommend a good light meter for me to invest in.

Depends on the type of measurements you need to make: Spot, Incident, or Foot Candles? Each one requires a different meter. If you need all the functionality, it may be more affordable to buy a single combination meter (such as Sekonic L-608) instead of buying three individual meters.

#7 filmguy

filmguy
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:52 PM

I just purchased the sekonic L-398 M. It's kind of old school. But I have a question. I'm using an aaton XTR. Does the shutter angle affect my use of the light meter? I dial in the ISO film speed. And I thought I was supposed to reference that number on the cine scale with the 24 fps in order to find my aperture. Is this correct? Should I be reading it differently. I think the shutter angle on the camera is 180.

#8 Andy Sparaco SOC

Andy Sparaco SOC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 203 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago and most airline lounges

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

You might look here:

http://www.spectraci.../product_2.html

CineLab

The Slider

Ritter Battery