#1 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

So I've shot about 1200 ft of 64T since it's release. I watched all of it projected last night, and have to say I like it a lot more than K40. It has so much more detail and better color saturation. It is not at all grainy when projected. And when underexposed, the colors hold up nicely where K40 would get really muddy and desaturated. 64T looks and performs the same as I imagined, or hoped 100D would look in S8. It's refueled my desire to shoot and project.

#2 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:59 PM

That is great to hear. You must tell everybody where you got it developed. This has emerged as a crucial issue with regards to final quality.

#3 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

That is great to hear. You must tell everybody where you got it developed. This has emerged as a crucial issue with regards to final quality.

Forde Labs. They process all current S8 stocks. they also do ultrasonic cleaning prep, which makes for spotless films.

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:41 PM

It certainly is great news.

However, the essence of what I have gotten from Mr. Pytlak's position is that non-descructive use of film (meaning straight transfer of film to video) is Kodak's top priority when it comes to Super-8. Hopefully the German and European Super-8 users embrace Ektachrome 64 for projection as they could potentially gain incredibly fast turnaround times for their processing.

The samples that I saw in the second issue of Super-8 Today still have a dominant bluish edge to them. When an 85B filter was added in their test, I wasn't totally thrilled with those samples either. I am really curious if a more reddish filter, like a 30CCR (I think that's what it's called) would be more ideal.

I think I got really good results with the reddish filters versus orange filters, but I wasn't happy with the grain structure when transferred to video as compared to Kodachrome 40.

I still would like to have a low ASA option, be it reversal or negative, for my transfer direct to video projects.

#5 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:13 PM

I saw the examples in S8 today, but didn't do much justice. I've been using the 85B and getting nice punchy colors and no bluish cast. some folks like the cooler look of the 85 filter, I like the warmer 85B look.

#6 Peter Duggan

Peter Duggan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:57 PM

That's good to hear that it's working out. I'm just starting to play around with super 8, and that's the next type I'mm going to play around with.

#7 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:45 PM

Forde Labs. They process all current S8 stocks. they also do ultrasonic cleaning prep, which makes for spotless films.

Forde...

Never read a bad word about those guys from anybody with a shred of credibility in scouring the super 8 boards for over 2 years. I will be using them for my next super 8 project. Maybe I'll use Flying Spot for telecine to make things easy, but first they're going to have to get with the program and modernize and start offering uncompressed straight to harddrive uncompressed 10 bit standard def.

AS PER THE FILTER ISSUE:

Just for future reference, to make it easy on super 8 shooters, use of the internal filter in your camera along with a very common Skylight filter on the lens provides for pretty much exactly the filtration level needed for 64t. These things are always a lot easier than some try to portray.

#8 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:51 PM

Forde...

Never read a bad word about those guys from anybody with a shred of credibility in scouring the super 8 boards for over 2 years. I will be using them for my next super 8 project. Maybe I'll use Flying Spot for telecine to make things easy, but first they're going to have to get with the program and modernize and start offering uncompressed straight to harddrive uncompressed 10 bit standard def.
AS PER THE FILTER ISSUE:

Just for future reference, to make it easy on super 8 shooters, use of the internal filter in your camera along with a very common Skylight filter on the lens provides for pretty much exactly the filtration level needed for 64t. These things are always a lot easier than some try to portray.

FSFT does offer this service. They are using a Kona 2 SDI card. Call Eric and ask him about it. This service is not referenced on the website.

Steve

Tai Audio

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport