Steve Zimmerman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other
  • Charleston, SC USA

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:56 PM

To all the pro Gaffers out there:

I have been experimenting with the slow speed 16mm film Kodachrome 40T. --Of course I need all the wattage I can get for lighting, but I am shooting in a tight urban area so parking a generator on the street is impossible.

I was interested in the possiblility of using a 240v dryer plug to power a 2.5K HMI

Could I use this 3000 Watt Step Down Transformer (see link)? I have access to 60amp bates 3-prong to edison plug adapters (which I would plug into the trasformer), we usually use them to power 2K lights. Would this work for 2.5K?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...oQQcmdZViewItem

Thanks so much in advance! I love this forum :D

P.S.
I just read in the Feb. 2006 issue of American Cinematographer about the new Arri Ceramic lights. A 250w fixture is equivalent to a 1K! Maybe there could be future ceramic lights that are 1000W but put out equivalent to 4K -- from a house plug!

Edited by Steve Zimmerman, 05 February 2006 - 11:06 PM.

#2 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:19 AM

To all the pro Gaffers out there:

I have been experimenting with the slow speed 16mm film Kodachrome 40T. --Of course I need all the wattage I can get for lighting, but I am shooting in a tight urban area so parking a generator on the street is impossible.

I was interested in the possiblility of using a 240v dryer plug to power a 2.5K HMI

Could I use this 3000 Watt Step Down Transformer (see link)? I have access to 60amp bates 3-prong to edison plug adapters (which I would plug into the trasformer), we usually use them to power 2K lights. Would this work for 2.5K?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...oQQcmdZViewItem

Thanks so much in advance! I love this forum :D
P.S.
I just read in the Feb. 2006 issue of American Cinematographer about the new Arri Ceramic lights. A 250w fixture is equivalent to a 1K! Maybe there could be future ceramic lights that are 1000W but put out equivalent to 4K -- from a house plug!

Steve: I want you to know that what you said to me sounded like it would work, slightly in theory.

I am not guaranteing anything, but with the 20% safety conversion built into the 240v /10 = 24amps, and your 2.5k "needing" 25 amps, I'd say you are running real close.

If you do this, make sure it's the only thing on the whole entire circuit, and only do it, if it's on a breaker, not fuse.

You could also use the silent genny's, or put it inside of a van ;)

#3 Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other
  • Charleston, SC USA

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:43 AM

Thanks for the response. The dryer outlet is on its own circuit in the breaker box. I will also check with a local gaffer. Hopefully I can shoot the Kodachrome 40 (rating 32 with 85 for daylight) with an T4, LOL!

Edited by Steve Zimmerman, 06 February 2006 - 02:46 AM.

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Tai Audio