#1 Charles Haine

Charles Haine
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Colorist
  • New York

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:58 PM

debating between the JVC, Cannon and Panasonic $6,000 or so camera options for possible purchase late this spring (not sure why Sony didn't make the list), and the one thing that I was really looking for more info on is what people think about the lens on the HVX?

Obviously, it's a lens that is integrated into the camera body, and the whole thing only cost's $6,000, so it's inferior to using the Cannon or JVC and a Mini35 Adapter and Cooke's, or Zeiss, or Lomo's or whoever you love. But, for the price, how do those of you who use it feel the lens holds up to the demands of the format?

I mean, for a $3,000 camera, I felt the lens on the DVX100 was very impressive, considering. But I remember when still camera's went from 5megapixel to 8, a few companies simply upgraded the sensor's but not the glass, and there were a lot of complaints about the glass not resolving well enough for the new sensor quality.

Obviously, this lens in engineered for this camera, but I'm wondering, from those of you who have used it, what you think about it's personality. How much worse does it look compared to the fujinon on the JVC?

chuck haine

#2 Tom Bays

Tom Bays
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

debating between the JVC, Cannon and Panasonic $6,000 or so camera options for possible purchase late this spring (not sure why Sony didn't make the list), and the one thing that I was really looking for more info on is what people think about the lens on the HVX?

Obviously, it's a lens that is integrated into the camera body, and the whole thing only cost's $6,000, so it's inferior to using the Cannon or JVC and a Mini35 Adapter and Cooke's, or Zeiss, or Lomo's or whoever you love. But, for the price, how do those of you who use it feel the lens holds up to the demands of the format?

I mean, for a $3,000 camera, I felt the lens on the DVX100 was very impressive, considering. But I remember when still camera's went from 5megapixel to 8, a few companies simply upgraded the sensor's but not the glass, and there were a lot of complaints about the glass not resolving well enough for the new sensor quality.

Obviously, this lens in engineered for this camera, but I'm wondering, from those of you who have used it, what you think about it's personality. How much worse does it look compared to the fujinon on the JVC?
chuck haine

The manufacturer says that putting different lenses on chips this small causes major back focus problems going from situation to situation....They don't believe the person buying this camera would know how to deal with it...so they made a fixed lense. wink wink.

#3 Ed Nyankori

Ed Nyankori
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Electrician
  • Atlanta,Ga

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:26 PM

Im working with the Canon xl1hd, hvx200, jvc prohd and sony hdv (whatever it is). We are shooting 60i - sd vice hd due to the limitations of the video switcher. We are brodcasting sporting events to the web in a very innovative buisness model.

The HVX has the sharpest image while the Canon has a longer lens and is more user friendly, in this case. A few weeks ago I gaffed a Canon xl1hd w/ps technic adapter using zeiss super speeds. That was the sweetest image Ive seen from any video better than Sonyf900 w/eng lens.

#4 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:07 PM

Im working with the Canon xl1hd, hvx200, jvc prohd and sony hdv (whatever it is). We are shooting 60i - sd vice hd due to the limitations of the video switcher. We are brodcasting sporting events to the web in a very innovative buisness model.

The HVX has the sharpest image while the Canon has a longer lens and is more user friendly, in this case. A few weeks ago I gaffed a Canon xl1hd w/ps technic adapter using zeiss super speeds. That was the sweetest image Ive seen from any video better than Sonyf900 w/eng lens.

---Since the Zeisses' image is being reimaged by the adapter and the Canon's lens, how can the image be better than the Canon's lens alone?

Sweet is a very vague term, and as H.Dumpty says can mean anything you want it to mean.
Sharpness is the most definite term used in this thread, even that has wiggle room.
Sending an image through two optical systems into a third, the camera's lens, is not going to give an image sharper than camera lenses alone.

Upon tasting soda pop after not drinking any for a year, I found the sweetness very unpleasant, practically unbearable.

& shallow depth of field is a matter of taste, deep focus has it's merits.

---LV

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:51 PM

Hi,

In a shoot out, the HVX had one of the worst images.

http://nifp.org/site..... shootout.pdf

Stephen

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Opal

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio