#1 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:46 PM

an excerpt about the Rutgers Super-8 Film & Digital Video Festival

"All works were screened by a panel of 12 judges which consisted of media professionals, journalists, students, and academics. The panel included: Josh Appelbaum ( Time Off, Princeton Packet Newspaper ), Juan Arancibia, Nicholas Crowe, Jess Emili ( Inside Beat Film Editor), Christina Entcheva, Sarah Hughes, David Leiberfarb ( Newark Star Ledger ), Liz Nadybal, A.G. Nigrin, Doug Piccinnini, Paul Power (Museum of Modern Art, NYC), and Liz Zalarick. These judges selected the 19 finalists (see the screening schedule in this playbill) which will be publicly screened at our Festival. These finalists were selected from over 170 works submitted by film and videomakers from around the world. In addition, the judges chose the prize winners (including over $4000 in prizes) in conjunction with the Festival Director. The audience will be asked to participate in the judging process by voting for their favorite works via the "Audience Choice Prize." The award winners will be publicly announced after the screenings on Sunday, February 19, 2006. "

http://www.njfilmfest.com/

Congrats to Justin Lovell and myself for being two of the 19 finalists.

Audience attendance for the three evening festival is essential to the film festivals financial goal of breaking even. Box office for the event helps the festival exist for the following year, and they do give out $4,000 dollars worth of goods and services. If you or anyone you know in the Rutgers, New Jersey area is available for a good show, please attend.

Probably half of the festival finalists are Super-8, and half are digital. I don't know the exact ratio.

The film festival is officially known as The United States Super-8 Film and Digital Video Festival or The Rutgers Super-8 Film Festival and is an annual event.

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:22 AM

One bump should last until the festival date of Feb. 17-19th,. 2006.

#3 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:35 AM

Well, I think this is good for you and congratulations.

But I notice that your film was made in 1983. Is that a typo?

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:08 PM

Well, I think this is good for you and congratulations.

But I notice that your film was made in 1983. Is that a typo?

Yes, it was actually 1984. :D

The Film sat mothballed for a very, very long time until it was shown at a reunion of our college film club last fall. It was really a trip watching a film I worked on so many years later because it's almost like viewing it for the first time.

Primarly based on the positive feedback the film received at the film club reunion, I figured it was worth entering in a festival or two. I had planned on redoing the audio of the film to match the sync better on the video master but I ran out of time and instead basically sent in a DVD to the film festival. The DVD was made from the original video transfer master that had been made back in the 80's on 3/4 video.

The sound for the film was originally put on to the film itself via an Elmo Sound Projector, way back in the 80's.

Since the film was originally shot in black and white the sound stripe was applied onto the film after the film editing was done. (there was no pre-striped super-8 black and white film stock, even back in the 80's.) I can't recall who I sent it to have the sound stripe added.

#5 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:44 PM

An article about the Rutgers Film Festival....

http://www.app.com/a.../602160404/1031

It's time for the Super 8 festival at Rutgers
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 02/16/06
BY ELEANOR O'SULLIVAN
MOVIE WRITER

It's here again, virtually all by itself: The 2006 U.S. Super 8 Film & Digital Video Festival at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, is running Friday through Sunday on campus.

In its 18th year, the festival is "the largest and longest running juried Super 8mm film and digital video festival in North America," said Al Nigrin, executive director, curator and founder of the university's Film Co-op, and of this festival. "The festival encourages any genre (animation, documentary, personal, narrative, experimental, etc.) made on Super 8 film . . . or digital video."

A panel of 19 judges has whittled 170 submitted works down to the 18 finalists, and the winning entries will be announced Sunday.

Among the finalists are John W. McKelvey of Metuchen's "Lunch Break," about a working mother dealing with out-of-town bosses and a documentary crew at her supermarket job; Jeff M. Giordano, Williamstown, for "Among Garbage & Flowers," a film about humans and the trash cycle; Stephen Dovidas of Piscataway's "Relations," a 12-minute work on an unnatural love affair; and Thomas Micchelli of Chatham's "In Brief," a six-minute short on a man's need for change.

Also, "Floccinoucinhilipilification," Jon Dugan of New Brunswick's surrealist dinner party drama; Bruce James and Karl Voskuil of Philadelphia's "Copernicus," about the intersection among strangers; and "The Legend of Black Tom," from Deron Albright of Narberth, Pa., about the 1810 boxing match between a former slave and a British fighter.

Prizes worth $4,000 will be distributed at the festival, and an Audience Choice award will be presented Sunday after the screenings.

Aside from its initial presentation at Rutgers, the Super 8 festival's award winning entries have been shown on tour for the past 12 years; they have been shown in New York, Utah, Brussels, Oregon, Seattle, Boston and West Virginia.

The Super 8 festival is part of Rutgers' New Jersey Film Festival Spring 2006, running through April 23. But Nigrin is the man who never sleeps much, so a call for entries is now out for the 2006 New Jersey International Film Festival, running June and July at Rutgers.

As for the Super 8 festival this weekend, tickets are $8, $7 and $6. Film showings are at 7 p.m. each day at Scott Hall No. 123, 43 College Ave., New Brunswick. More information is available from (732) 932-8482, or www.njfilmfest.com.

#6 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:42 PM

Here is a link to the winning films.

http://www.njfilmfest.com/super8.html

#7 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:46 PM

cool,

my film, STUNTMAN, won the audience choice award.

check the link, www.justinlovell.com for info on the film (none of our recent showings/awards have been posted).

A dvd release is in the works including commentary tracks and behind the scenes "making of" footage for those that may be interested.

cheers!

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Visual Products

Ritter Battery