48fps with an npr?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brettWas

brettWas
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

Hi everyone, it's my first post, glad to be here.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on one of those fabled Perfectone non-sync motors that can allegedly run an npr at 48fps? Are they real?

And if not, is it at all possible to modify another motor to achieve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Brett

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:41 PM

I saw an NPR motor converted to sync with variable speeds up to 50fps. I also saw it destroy the camera movement, seizing and then shredding it.

I would not advise pushing that camera beyond 36fps.

#3 andrewbuchanan

andrewbuchanan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:24 PM

My Beala III motor runs strong at just a tick over 40fps (probably 42 or 43). Works great, gives a very steady image, and hasn't caused any problems with the camera. It came with the motor (it's a late model camera), so I assume everything is fine... maybe watch out for aftermarket motors, but mine works great.

#4 brettWas

brettWas
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:58 PM

I saw an NPR motor converted to sync with variable speeds up to 50fps. I also saw it destroy the camera movement, seizing and then shredding it.

I would not advise pushing that camera beyond 36fps.

Yeah, that was a concern, I've read actual eclair literature that said the npr's are rated to 48 fps max, but I'm sure some 30 years later, they're probably not as eager to cycle that fast, thanks for the advice.

My Beala III motor runs strong at just a tick over 40fps (probably 42 or 43). Works great, gives a very steady image, and hasn't caused any problems with the camera. It came with the motor (it's a late model camera), so I assume everything is fine... maybe watch out for aftermarket motors, but mine works great.

Have you ever heard of a Beala motor, or an npr motor that looks strikingly like a Beala, that only syncs at 24, and only has non-sync speeds from 12 - 32?

#5 Scott Bullock

Scott Bullock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, CO

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:56 AM

If it were me, I'd give George at Optical Electro House in CA a call. He can answer many of the Eclair NPR questions. I believe he either manufactures or re-manufactures motors for the NPR. That said I've never seen this camera used for super slow-motion work.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Glidecam

Opal

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC