8 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Rufail

Mike Rufail
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:42 PM

I was wondering if anyone could give me insight into my current situation. I am sending exposed 35mm film off to a lab for process and transfer. However, I am torn between what kind of transfer to get. Unfortunately, we do not have the funds to pay for scene-to-scene color correction so I wanted to save as much quality as possible in the transfer. I was wondering if it is worth the extra .5 cents a foot to transfer to digi-beta and then the $100/hr for transfer to a hard drive as opposed to just receiving the footage as dailies on miniDV. If anyone has dealt with these issues, please reply asap. Thanks.

Mike

#2 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:06 PM

The big question is - what do you intend to do with the transferred footage? If you plan to do offline editing on an NLE and just want to see what you've got, you go one way; if you plan to use that transferred material as your master footage, you'll want to handle it differently. What is your plan?

#3 Mike Rufail

Mike Rufail
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:10 PM

We are forced to use the transferred footage as the master footage for the cut. Then submit the cut on Beta SP. What do you recommend?

Mike

#4 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

We are forced to use the transferred footage as the master footage for the cut. Then submit the cut on Beta SP. What do you recommend?

Mike

If that's the case, I'd definitely recommend that you go with DigiBeta. You'll have more flexibility in color-correcting, and higher overall quality for your master.

#5 Mike Rufail

Mike Rufail
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:31 PM

I think DigiBeta is what we're going to transfer to then output to as well. I did the extra research. However, if anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to post them.

Mike

#6 Joshua Reis

Joshua Reis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:59 PM

Hi, Based on your situation, I would recommend transfering to digital betacam without windows (timecode overlays). I would also have the telecine has transfer to DVCAM (clones), but with windowburns. Yes, this may cost a little more upront, but you will save money becuase you will be abl to edit and capture all your footage renting a cheap DVCAM deck and not having to pay for the digital betacam hourly capture rate, which is expensive. One you are finished editing offline from the DVCAM, you can produce an EDL or batchlist from your cut, then go capture your selectrs from the digi tapes at 1:1 (uncompressed). Working uncompressed will give you more leverage in your color correction. Plus, having the window burns will help greatly in post if you run into an timecode or keycode errors (if you have to cut a future negative). In the long run, the DVCAM clones will save you money. I don't know how long your piece is, or if there is sync or mos dailies, but this workflow is a safe and typicaly way of going. Best of luck

#7 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:13 AM

If you have an editing system that can handle and monitor digibeta, then you should stick with that format. You'll find that you can get a better look at your 35mm footage in terms of color and focus than you would in DVCAM, enough so that it can influence your editing decisions.

#8 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:21 PM

some TK houses will now transfer direct to Hard drive in 10bit color

thanks

Rolfe

#9 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Z├╝rich, Switzerland

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:56 AM

If you get it 10bit 4:2:2 uncompressed on your hard drive, but you don't have a raid or something that manages the datarate, you can downconvert to DV, keep the 10Bit 4:2:2 save on your hard drive or even make a back up on a second hard drive. Do your editing and colorcorrection in DV, when finished just put your DV-files in another folder, FCP warns "media off line", relink it with the orginal 10bit 4:2:2 file, change the sequence properties to 10bit 4:2:2, and render to do the color correction on the 4:2:2 Footage...

maybe there's is an easier way, but this one worked for me...

you don't want to have the Keycode in the image, if you go 1.85 letterboxed you can put in the bars, fullscreen you have to choose. I'm not sure if your project will be video only? If yes you don't care about Keycodes.

Going direct to hard drive you don't have to mess around with expensiv Digibeta-stuff. To buy some 250GB firewire hardrives might be cheaper than renting a Digibetaplayer. There's no back up, if your hard drive crashes the footage is gone.

go 10bit 4:2:2 to Hard drive or Digibeta. DVcam is no good for color correction, you'll end up with compression-artifacts etc...

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products