• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Per-Hampus Stålhandske

Per-Hampus Stålhandske
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:05 AM

Hi all!
This is my first post here.

I have 3 Arriflex St's. All of them have problems. Im going to tell you what kind of problems they have and hopefully get an answer that could fix on of the cameras.

I always use 30 feet rolls. I film snowboarding so the camera is often cold and i mostly shoot around 7 seconds / take. I mostly shoot 32 fps.

Camera 1:
This was my first camera. I filmed 40 rolls with it and everything was OK. Then it wouldn't always start. The power connection have some kind of glitch. 50% of the time i press the trigger it starts.

Camera 2:
I filmed a test roll with it and everything was fine. I started shooting more with it and after 2-3 rolls i noticed that the take up spool was spinning too slow. It works when i shoot around 18 fps but when i crank it up to 25-32 fps it spins way to slow. So after a shot i manually have to spin it up. And we are talking about filming for 6 seconds and then spinning it up for a minute.

Camera 3:
I got the answer from the testroll from this camera back today. The Operator said that everything looked good except that it was leaking constantly for the first 10 feet. I filmed it with vision 250d on a cloudy day outside. The 20 feet that was left of the roll looked really good, without leaks. But when I filmed this i was standing in my apartment and filming outside of the window. I did not use any camera tape. The leaks came from right and left and they came in a little bit over the TV safe area.

I guess that I have to leave them to some kind of speciallist but it's not that easy in Sweden.

If anyone of you have any tips or anything that could help me on somehow I would be very greatful!

Thanks a lot

Per-Hampus
22 from Sweden.

#2 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:31 PM

Hi all!
This is my first post here.
I have 3 Arriflex St's. All of them have problems.

You need to get all these cameras into a repair shop for analysis & refurb. You should be able to find one in Stockholm.

Camera 1:
50% of the time i press the trigger it starts.

Electrical problem, either a cracked circuit board, bad solder joint, failed part or bad connector.

Camera 2:
I started shooting more with it and after 2-3 rolls i noticed that the take up spool was spinning too slow.

The belt to the takeup spool is probably rubber, old, and stretched to the point it won't pull the takeup reel.

Camera 3:
The Operator said that everything looked good except that it was leaking constantly for the first 10 feet.

Light leak, as you said. You're shooting with 30 foot loads? Possibly the spool was flashed by the previous user during unloading, or by you during load. Or perhaps the door wasn't properly closed, or it's warped. Try again with another load of film, loaded in the dark, and tape the door.

Edited by Robert Hughes, 10 February 2006 - 12:36 PM.

#3 A.Oliver

A.Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Other
  • Croydon UK

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:16 PM

Hi, arri-gb should be able to service your cameras, though certain parts are a problem. Your fault on camera 3, is lite leaking in from the magazine blanking cover?. My first st did have fogging issues, rectified by renewing black felt around the magazine port and cover. Camera 1, are all the contacts clean, no loose power lead pins at the rear of the camera?, there's not much electrical wise that can go wrong in a ST camera. Tim Carroll is a bit of an ST expert, hopefully he will reply to your thread.

Edited by k25rip, 10 February 2006 - 07:17 PM.

#4 Per-Hampus Stålhandske

Per-Hampus Stålhandske
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for the help!

I have found one guy that repairs cameras like this. Im sending camera 2 to him tomorrow. He did'nt have time for all of them.
When I talked to him over the phone he said that it's probably the oils in the camera that are old. So he is going to change that. I will talk to him about the belt as well.

I shoot 30 feet loads. I connected a small lamp that is pretty strong and placed it inside the camera. I checked it from the outside in a completly dark room but did not see any light coming out of the camera.

I will try to get all the cameras in for service as soon as possible.

Thanks you

Per-Hampus

#5 A.Oliver

A.Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Other
  • Croydon UK

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:38 PM

Hi, is the felt good on the mag cover?, mine looked ok but was very thin with wear. Also there should be some black felt just above the gate. Camera three should be the easiest one sort sort out. If you require a piece of self sticking black felt send me a PM. Also is the door sitting correctly against the body???? Dont forget 250 asa is very sensitive, it only requires a minute amount of lite to fog the film.
Andy

#6 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:08 PM

...I shoot 30 feet loads....

I think maybe you mean you shoot 30 meter loads? These are 100 feet.

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Abel Cine

The Slider