#1 Sean Azze

Sean Azze
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • P.A.

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:56 PM

Hey guys and gals

The new Kanye West video is a throwback to the 70's. Just wanted to know if someone can explain to me how they achieved that look? It's almost uncanny. Is it just the way they process the film, or does it have something to do with the lenses or how they lit it? (I know those cheesy 360 degree handheld moves they do while hes standing at the Grand Canyon are pretty nostalgic - - reminded me of the 16mm stuff in Boogie Nights.)

Thanks!

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:53 AM

I was speaking to two friends of mine who were A.C.'s on that video the other day. I got to hear what a nightmare the job was, but also about the camera package they had. They shot 35mm, 16mm, and Beta. I believe they had a 2C, a 235, two SR3's, an A-Cam, and a couple Beta SP's. So maybe the mixture of different formats gave it the look you are describing....as well as post. I'm not sure about the lenses.

#3 Wendell_Greene

Wendell_Greene
  • Sustaining Members
  • 545 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:20 PM

The look of that video is a result of the eye and mind of the very talented director Chris Milk, who seems to favor a much more cinematic patina in his work. It's a great look, IMO.

Add to his skill set those of the DPs he collaborates with like Matthew Libatique or Danny Hiele who worked with him on Modest Mouse's "Ocean Breathes Salty" . Hiele used specific filters to affect the look along with the choice of filmstocks [ Ektachrome stocks when available] then they make a low contrast print and transfer off that. That transfer is often done in collaboration with an incredible colorist named Dave Hussey at Company 3 [owned by Stefan Sonnefeld]

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Opal

CineLab