Kitao Sakurai
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:15 PM

Hi all,

I'm about to shoot a short in a few weeks, and the idea is we'll be shooting super 35 4 perf composed for 2:35.

I've shot stuff with this set of cooke S2/S3 primes which I absolutely adore, and I'd love to use them for this project, but I'm not sure if they'll cover super 35 2:35. My rental house says that they PROBABLY will cover but I don't think they've tried. I need to test, I know, but I'm just wondering if anybody has had a definitive experience with this setup before - either "yes, it worked beautifully, no problems" or "It was terrible! ruinied the production"... etc.

My instinct is that it'll probalby work - the 2:35 is pretty narrow, versus if I wanted to get 1:33 full aperture, in which case edge-to-edge would probalby be a problem.

Thanks in advance everybody!!!

kitao

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:47 PM

Hi all,

I'm about to shoot a short in a few weeks, and the idea is we'll be shooting super 35 4 perf composed for 2:35.

I've shot stuff with this set of cooke S2/S3 primes which I absolutely adore, and I'd love to use them for this project, but I'm not sure if they'll cover super 35 2:35. My rental house says that they PROBABLY will cover but I don't think they've tried. I need to test, I know, but I'm just wondering if anybody has had a definitive experience with this setup before - either "yes, it worked beautifully, no problems" or "It was terrible! ruinied the production"... etc.

My instinct is that it'll probalby work - the 2:35 is pretty narrow, versus if I wanted to get 1:33 full aperture, in which case edge-to-edge would probalby be a problem.
Thanks in advance everybody!!!

kitao

Hi,

They will cover upto a S35 1:185 without problem. The 18mm may look poop on the video assist, but will be fine on the film.

Stephen

#3 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:14 PM

The movie "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" used these same series lenses for closeups in the 2.35/1 super 35mm format.

#4 Kitao Sakurai

Kitao Sakurai
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:35 PM

The movie "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" used these same series lenses for closeups in the 2.35/1 super 35mm format.

Hunh, great news then!

Yeah, I really like the soft, bendy quality of these lenses - much more "anamorphic" looking than superspeeds.

Thanks!

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Wooden Camera