huge pixels! ! ! ! !

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nicolas goerg

nicolas goerg
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:03 AM

:( hi everybody ! ! !

The following images are taken from a short I shot almost a month ago. The director called me because he saw the shots in full screen (on the mac he's editing on) and whasn't satisfied with the definition. I toke a look at it and I'm not really satisfied either: the close-up you see was shot in macro . I used a dvx100a in PAL (I live in france) so the image size is 720*576 and thats the size i get in final cut and in photoshop. the is it just me or should I re-do an import differently???? tell me what you guys think. thanks a lot...

nicolas GOERG

Attached Images

• plan3.jpg
  • plan11.jpg

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:16 AM

Looks all right to me.

People always whine when they put SD video up on a computer monitor. Remember that the computer display is high scan rate progressive 4:4:4 often at HD resolutions, so yes, blowing up video on a computer monitor often makes it look soft in comparison. Also, many computer graphics cards apply rather extreme interpolation to the image when blowing it up, which can further soften the way it looks.

But there's nothing wrong with your pictures. If you want it to look better in these circumstances, shoot HD!

Phil

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

Looks all right to me.
But there's nothing wrong with your pictures. If you want it to look better in these circumstances, shoot HD!

Phil

Hi,

I agree.

Stephen

#4 Alexandre Lucena

Alexandre Lucena
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:34 PM

Quite nice actually.

Alexandre

#5 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:37 PM

Jeez your images look great on my PowerBook :)

-Sam

#6 John Carreon

John Carreon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Orange County, CA.

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:21 PM

I agree...looks like video but it looks fine...I don't see any bad pixelation...

Maybe a little make-up...but beyond that it looks like a relatively well lit...in focus shot...

John

#7 Ryan Bajornas

Ryan Bajornas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:57 AM

the stills look fine, but maybe the moving image is a different story. if the image doesn't play right, it must be computer settings. so try something different until you get it right. if you still have problems, import onto a different system. eventually you'll find what's wrong. i'm sure those huge pixels are not on your master tape, so quit worrying.

#8 nicolas goerg

nicolas goerg
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:21 AM

the stills look fine, but maybe the moving image is a different story. if the image doesn't play right, it must be computer settings. so try something different until you get it right. if you still have problems, import onto a different system. eventually you'll find what's wrong. i'm sure those huge pixels are not on your master tape, so quit worrying.

ok cool.. thanks guys....
but I still think the quality is weird (not as good in close ups than large) but hey, you're right, its sd, not hd :( ......

I'll try to grade the poop and show you more stills...

nicolas goerg

Visual Products

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc