#1 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:29 PM

Any guess about scroll bar showing up on a plasma tv set screen, shooting at 30 fps @ 180 deg shutter ?
Thanks for feedback.
Oscar

#2 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:04 AM

As far as I'm aware the scroll bar is not an issue with plasma screens (and LCDs too), only with CRTs.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:22 AM

As far as I'm aware the scroll bar is not an issue with plasma screens (and LCDs too), only with CRTs.

There's no bar, but Plasmas can pulse unlike LCD screens. Not sure how to "phase out" the pulsing though since I'm not sure what the refresh rate is or whether it is a 60Hz cycle (where using a 144 degree shutter at 24 fps may help. Or 30 fps with 180 degrees. Or if you need to be at 29.97fps. Assuming NTSC.)

#4 Filip Plesha

Filip Plesha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • Other
  • Croatia

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:42 AM

Speaking of plasma screens

I was just in a sony store today...

First I enter the store and see a big plasma HD TV/monitor and there is some kind of a static image of flowers on it. It looks like a big print is sticked on top of the screen.
It didn't appear to glow because it was day and the rest of the store was bright, so I actually thought it is a print on paper, then I come closer and see that it falls appart, and I see some vibration on the bright parts, so I figured out that it was the actual image on the screen.

I've never seen such a display with such contrast. I mean, that's like Star Trek. The blacks are like dark black plastic surfaces, and whites are glowing.
The image has a contrast of a print on paper. When not moving it actually looks as if you are looking at YCM print material, at least from some distance.

I can't believe display technology has advanced so much, consumer technology that is.
It reminds me of those sci-fi movies when they composite the images on the monitors, instead of shooting of monitors, the images look like a part of the scene photography because they are composited.
Well it seems we are there now, because on film, this kind of a monitor would look like the image is composited in.

Amazing.

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Opal

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly