Photo

Examples of my work, what should I use for aplications ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dominik Muench

Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:13 PM

Hi guys,

here you can find some examples of commercials and music videos i shot:

http://www.hereticar.../sreel/work.htm

i really would like to know what you think and maybe get some constructive criticism.

also, i am sending out job aplications soon and i wanted to ask what you guys think i should put on my showreel regarding the work selection....a friend of mine is currently cutting my showreel together....it will be around 2.30 mins. do you think thats enough or should i put some "complete" work examples on the dvd as well ?
what do companies usually wanna see ? just the short showreel or also some complete work examples ? like whole music videos and so on ?

thanks for the help.

p.s it was my first attempt on creating quicktime files with cleaner for the web. if anyone has recommendations on how to tweak the settings to get different results let me know :)

Edited by Dmuench, 12 February 2006 - 07:15 PM.

#2 Tomas Koolhaas

Tomas Koolhaas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • los angeles

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:31 PM

Hi guys,

here you can find some examples of commercials and music videos i shot:

http://www.hereticar.../sreel/work.htm

i really would like to know what you think and maybe get some constructive criticism.

also, i am sending out job aplications soon and i wanted to ask what you guys think i should put on my showreel regarding the work selection....a friend of mine is currently cutting my showreel together....it will be around 2.30 mins. do you think thats enough or should i put some "complete" work examples on the dvd as well ?
what do companies usually wanna see ? just the short showreel or also some complete work examples ? like whole music videos and so on ?

thanks for the help.
p.s it was my first attempt on creating quicktime files with cleaner for the web. if anyone has recommendations on how to tweak the settings to get different results let me know :)

Hi,
I am glad you posted this, as I have been thinking about this a lot recently. At film school I was always told a reel should be about 4/5 minutes long and have a mix of different pieces to music. In the years since film school I have heard opinions vary very widely about demo. reels and how they should be formated. I recently spoke to a VERY succesful ($100m dollar features) Producer who watched my reel (4.5 minutes) and told me it was "Much too short", I was amazed at what he told me! he said a good DP reel is around 10minutes long!!!! I now have purchased FCP4 so I can cut my own reel (and re-cut it whenever I want for free) and intend on making it around 8minutes, and instead of having random shots cut together I am going to cut shots together from scenes and movies seperately to give a better feel for each project's look/mood.
I am still going to have music instead of dialogue (the DP has no role in the dialogue so why include it in your reel?). I would be interested to hear what anyone else has heard though.
Cheers.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hi,

I've always been told not to do montage to music - but until I have a reel with professional-level actors on it, I'm going to be forced to use the technique or the results are just going to be embarrassing. Probably this would be more of a problem if you were doing drama as opposed to ads or promos.

I should probably add that I don't currently even have a reel I'm willing to show to anyone important...

Phil

#4 Dominik Muench

Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:53 AM

10 minutes....wow thats long. maybe a few other people have ideas about how they handle it ?

any constructive criticism on my work so far ?:)

#5 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:30 AM

sure you can make it 10 minutes long, but no-one is going to watch more than 2 minutes of it!

AC had a great article a few years back about cutting reels, full of great insights and ideas!

#6 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:09 AM

sure you can make it 10 minutes long, but no-one is going to watch more than 2 minutes of it!

AC had a great article a few years back about cutting reels, full of great insights and ideas!

what issue

Edited by ramdop, 13 February 2006 - 11:09 AM.

#7 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:26 AM

sorry- i had to go looking...

December 2000 "Unbreakable" and Bruce Willis on the cover. It's a great reference.

#8 Thomas Cousin

Thomas Cousin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

hi,

can you tell us which issue of AC you 're talking about. i would like to find it. must be very instructive.

right now, i have an editor-friend of mine editing my very first reel. I really don't know much about how to do it right. so we function very much with our instincts and feelings (is it good ? are there any specific rules in the business world ?).
we chose 4 pieces of music.it's going to last nearly 3'30 or 4'.
we edit it with a very "cinematographic" style. i mean a juxtaposition of image and music. no real rules. just a kind of narrative line, following graphics, colors, and style. i didn't organize it in terms of chronology or anything. we just kept an "emotionna"l path through lighting and compositions ... mixing different movies and styles. Just following what it seems pleasing to us.
it may lack of structure but it seems much more interesting to me.i want to propose to the people who are going to view it a little journey through what i done without really explaining anything.
i don't want to present it like a boring resumé.
maybe i'm wrong, i can't really tell.
whant do you think ?

thomas

sorry- i had to go looking...

December 2000 "Unbreakable" and Bruce Willis on the cover. It's a great reference.

ok sorry for asking again,
missed the post.

thanks for the info.

thomas

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

CineTape

FJS International, LLC