4 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Duggan

Peter Duggan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:44 PM

Does anyone know anything about this stock? I just saw it on Spectra's website, and I was shocked to see that Fuji has entered the super 8 market. Is it really a single 8 cartridge that has been mislabeled by the people at Spectra, or is Fuji really making a super 8 stock?

#2 Richard Tuohy

Richard Tuohy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Daylesford, Australia

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:51 AM

Does anyone know anything about this stock? I just saw it on Spectra's website, and I was shocked to see that Fuji has entered the super 8 market. Is it really a single 8 cartridge that has been mislabeled by the people at Spectra, or is Fuji really making a super 8 stock?

This if Fuji film, but perfed for super8 and put in a Kodapack for SUPER8 by someone else. Not ecactly clear who, but probably the same people that Wittner-kinotechnik are working with. A company called GK Film in Germany. Wittner have demonstrated this product, but not released it yet. Soon they say! Can't wait. Though you can already by Velvia in 50' lengths (and longer) for re-loadable cartridges from them. This is an e6 stock, unlike the fuji single-8 stocks.

#3 Filip Plesha

Filip Plesha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • Other
  • Croatia

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:06 AM

Well it obviously isn't Fuji, since they are discontinuing Velvia 50. Whoever is perforating this is using the last of the supplies of Velvia 50.

#4 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:08 PM

I saw the details for this on Spectras website including pre-order info: spectrafilmandvideo.com

I also spotted this in the filmshooting.com forum:

I'm very interested in Velvia 50D for Super-8, but before getting too involved, I'd like to know a bit more about its prognosis for continued availability. Is this the same RVP stock that Fuji discontinued at the end of 2005? If not, what is it, and if so, how much of it is around, and are there plans to offer Velvia 100 or 100F in Super-8?

And they responded--

Quote:
Hello David,

All excellent questions. The Velvia we have access to is going to be a two to three year supply. It is a series of final fresh batches made by Fuji and will be stored at Fuji for us to use. Once it is no longer available, there are arrangements to switch to the Velvia 100. A Provia 200 is also being discussed for interior applications.

The reason we are so interested in the 50D is because it is compatible with the cameras ability to read 40 ASA. So, there will be no more issue with auto exposure.

In addition, we can say that tests have shown Velvia to produce amazing results that are far superior to 64T. Grain and sharpness seem to be about on par (if not better than) well shot K-40. But, exposure latitude and color palate seem to be superior to K-40. The Velvia is almost totally grainless with colors of every hue pushed to the extreme!

We can say without doubt that everyone who uses this film should be very pleased with the results. And, considering how much more expensive the Velvia 35mm is, we think that our "breakthrough" price is very reasonable for those who wish to shoot with it on a regular basis.

We will only have a small amout of film available when we release the Velvia (until we ramp up our inventory). We are recommending that those who wish to obtain some rolls pre-order. We should have it out in less than a month and will fill our pre-orders first.

It is true that the price is quite good considering what Velvia has cost in super 8 in the past. At 35.00 per roll (with processing), it is only a couple of dollars more than what Spectra sells 64T for. I will be calling in a pre-order batch of film to use with my next project. When I get the results I will post them here. Considering the great E-6 processing I have gotten from Spectra in the past, I expect great results from the Velvia.

Edited by Mike Crane, 13 February 2006 - 02:09 PM.

#5 Peter Duggan

Peter Duggan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:25 PM

I saw the details for this on Spectras website including pre-order info: spectrafilmandvideo.com

I also spotted this in the filmshooting.com forum:
It is true that the price is quite good considering what Velvia has cost in super 8 in the past. At 35.00 per roll (with processing), it is only a couple of dollars more than what Spectra sells 64T for. I will be calling in a pre-order batch of film to use with my next project. When I get the results I will post them here. Considering the great E-6 processing I have gotten from Spectra in the past, I expect great results from the Velvia.

Cool. I'll be next on line for it then. I was afraid at first that it was going to be a single 8 cartridge instead of super 8.

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

CineLab

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks