#1 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

Hi I just bought a macro cinegon lens for my leicina special.

This weekend we´re shooting a short film in HDV and i´ll be a DP. Well, took the oportunity of the set, and actors I want to shoot some reels of TRI-X with my leicina special and the 10 mm. macro cinegon (one scene that I saw with a 40mm. lens - in 35 mm. mode)
I have some doubt with this lens:

the focus ring ends in 1 m. If the actor is more far away than 1 m. I supose that I must fix the ring in 1 m. and shoot even thought the actor goes more far away than 1 m. Is this correct? Is this lens sharp with subjects placed more far away than 1 m ?

Is a good idea shoot with TRI-X (160 iso - tungsten) expose it like a 125 ISO? I know that the viewfinder in the leicina "eat" some light and I think that could be a good idea give a film a 1/3 stop overexposed... what do you think?

Sorry my english :rolleyes:

#2 A.Oliver

A.Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Other
  • Croydon UK

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:32 PM

Hello, i assume you cinegon will focus from 1m the onto infinity?. Focussing scale ends at 1m on the cinegon, but the lens barrel should still continue to focus until the infinity setting. If the light is good f5.6, f8 etc, and the subject is 5 metres away i usually set the lens just under infinity, everything will be in focus with this lens. I think the equivalent shutter speed taking into account of the light loss thru the prism is 1/50 sec.

#3 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:02 PM

From my experience, if you have an actor hovering right around the 1 metre mark, it is a good idea to use the split focus screen in the viewfinder and fine tune a little, just in case. This is because there is a slight zone between the 1 metre mark and the infinity mark (edit: as I now see k25 mentions). If your actors are two metres or more away, just turn the cinegon to the infinity mark and everything will be in focus with great freedom of movement.

Here are examples. F-stop is a 4. In the first, the actor is between 1.5 metres and 2 metres away from the camera. The focus on the Cinegon is set at infinity focus.

Posted Image

In this second example, the actor is hovering around the 1 metre mark from the film plane marking on the camera and the focus is set at infinity on the Cinegon. Would have paid to do a little fine tuning as I describe.

Posted Image

Good luck with your shoot!

#4 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:22 PM

Is a good idea shoot with TRI-X (160 iso - tungsten) expose it like a 125 ISO? I know that the viewfinder in the leicina "eat" some light and I think that could be a good idea give a film a 1/3 stop overexposed... what do you think?

You are a lot better off with a slight over-exposure like that than to under-expose. Black and white reversal becomes very grainy, very fast when under-exposed. Ideally you want a perfect exposure, but if you're doing a lot of handheld improv stuff, I'd set it at 125 shooting indoors. The lower image I presented was only slightly under-exposed and you can see the extra grain in the face.

Don't buy into the "underexpose reversal a bit" myth. It's nonsense with black and white reversal.

#5 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:30 PM

Don't buy into the "underexpose reversal a bit" myth. It's nonsense with black and white reversal.

...I agree - the myth died with the old reversal stocks. Nice looking stills.

Steve

#6 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:08 PM

thanks a lot for your wisdom :rolleyes:

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets