5 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Smith

Mark Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

I know this is going to be a question that should be obvious...but digital audio is not my first field. I am looking for a device that will let me hook up two XLR microphones and record into my powerbook. The catch is that I want the sound from each microphone recorded on its own seperate track. Is that possible with the mbox? If not, what other products [in the same price range do this]...and also, has anyone ever used the Tascam US-122 - it looks to be about the same thing as the Mbox [with different software]...but if anyone knows if this supports the kind of multitrack recording I need, i.d love to save the money.

Thanks,
Mark.

#2 Patrick Casey

Patrick Casey
  • Sustaining Members
  • 24 posts
  • Producer

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

I don't know how rugged thhe solution has to be, but my recommendation would be to just a a FW soundcard like the M-Audio 410, and then you would have a nice soundcard to do audio work with as well. I'm sure that there are cheaper variants.

My sound dept. basically does this but they have a Moto Traveller since they need more inputs.

Best of luck!

#3 Peter Duggan

Peter Duggan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:09 AM

IF your budget allows for it, check out the Digidesign 002 digital rackmount mixer. It's expensive, but it's one hell of a mixer and will record very well onto your powerbook and comes with great software.

http://www.digidesig...ts/digi002rack/

#4 Mark Smith

Mark Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:48 AM

The budget doesn.t really allow, but the main question here is not really being addressed...which is does the mbox...or tascam us-122 record the seperate mic imports on different tracks or not...the digi002 would be nice because I.d get 4 imports instead of two, but right now I can cut it with two...maybe in the future i.ll pick up the digi...but right now the budget won.t allow it.

Mark.

#5 Werner Van Peppen

Werner Van Peppen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Gaffer
  • London, UK

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:00 AM

The budget doesn.t really allow, but the main question here is not really being addressed...which is does the mbox...or tascam us-122 record the seperate mic imports on different tracks or not...the digi002 would be nice because I.d get 4 imports instead of two, but right now I can cut it with two...maybe in the future i.ll pick up the digi...but right now the budget won.t allow it.

Mark.

Yeah it would be stereo, which would allow you to record each input on a separate channel. You could also try a firewire powered unit from motu. motu traveller. That would give you the means to do a multichannel mix at home and you'd have more inputs. Get a cheap behringer mixer and you could go upto 6 channels.

I know budget is your issue but it's better to spend a little more money upfront rather than buying something you probably can't use or doesn;t suit your purposes down the line.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:08 AM

Hi,

There are some absolutely great firewire audio devices in the $500 range. That and a laptop and you're good. I don't think it can be done well for much less than that.

Phil

Abel Cine

CineLab

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets