#1 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:55 PM

Hi,

I just completed version 2 of my homepage on iWeb & iMovie - I know I'm a luddite amongs all you Final Cut Pro champs!. I just realised that the the webstreaming default on iMovie has left my film clips looking pixelated on my website so I'm going to re-compress them so that they look better - unfortunately I've looked at all the options in the advanced Quicktime codecs and it's all Greek to me as I'm not that computer literate when it comes to codecs.

Any Mac geniuses out there who can give me a hand? I've been searching the web and it seems Sorenson seems a good option to get sharp webstreaming but I have no idea what settings to use.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

#2 gregorscheer

gregorscheer
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:03 PM

I just looked at your website and at the largo clip. Loaded fast and looked great. Not only your photography but also the acting rythme and feel. would not change anything about the codec

#3 Joshua Reis

Joshua Reis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:44 PM

Hi, yes Sorenson is a good codec. be sure to enable "compressed header" or "fast start" when encoding your clips. This way the quicktimes can begin playing once enough data has been buffered and before they have completely loaded.

Edited by Joshua Reis, 13 February 2006 - 09:45 PM.

#4 Brant Collins

Brant Collins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Producer
  • Little Rock, Arkansas

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:53 AM

The Quicktime h-264 is the best quality for the size. Just let people know they need Quictime 7 to view and I usually but a link to the Quicktime free download

#5 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:32 PM

Good points.

Basically - Sorenson codec is the most widely used one and works on every version of Quicktime. Therefore, if you want to acheive as many viewers as possible with minimum hassle, this is the one.

The new H264 codec is the "new Sorenson", so to speak. It'll take over from it since it's a much better and more lean codec. Unfortunately, it only works with QT7 playera and upwards. And you know how it is - people sit with Windows 98 software and Quicktime 4.0 and expect everything to play normally..

On my own website I just bit the bullet and did everything in H264. Don't care if someone with QT 6.0 can't see it - if they're so lazy they can't upgrade even a free software, then I can't be bothered with them.

#6 Jaan Shenberger

Jaan Shenberger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:59 PM

like many have said, sorenson is the way to go. h264 looks and compresses better without question, but you'd be amazed at how many people have yet to upgrade to qt7, and refuse to, because of little compatibility bugs with audio and video capture hardware. many post facilities will not upgrade qt until their they absolutely must... not to mention all the producers on their windows laptops. and years of working as an interactive designer has taught me that generally speaking, people don't install new software to look at something on a site (usually only when they can't see stuff on numerous sites will they cave in and do it).

i'd highly suggest sorenson. h264 will be the standard in a year or two or three, but right now you risk having someone simply not being able to watch your reel at all.

if you do go with sorenson, use squeeze or cleaner. it makes a huge difference in the image quality and file size. also, turn off "image smoothing" and as other mentioned, enable the fast-start option.

hope this helps,
jaan

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Opal

Visual Products

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC