Developeed High End 35 mm Adapter; Need Help, also 35 mm Lens Specs, Mount Info, etc.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cine2006

cine2006
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:22 PM

I developed a prototype 35 mm adapter, P+S style, and it works great with 35 mm SLR lenses. I would appreciate, if you could help me get some info on 35 mm cine lenses, etc. that I want to be able to use with this adapter. I have all kinds of questions. Any comment would be greately appreciated.

P+S Pro 35 uses 27 mm diagonal ground glass but claims that 35 mm lenses produce 30 mm image diagonal. The adapter produces 16x22 mm image.

My adapter is capable of producing 43 mm image diagonal in 16x9 aspect ratio. 43 mm is a the image diagonal of 35 mm SLR lenses.

Has anyone tried to use 35 mm SLR lenses to shoot video or film? Can they be used with quality follow focus amd also similar "zoom" unit? Can they be mounted on 35 mm cine cameras? Are there any adapters?

Do all 35 mm leses use the same mount? If not, where can I get the mount information? I also need information on image diagonal for 35 mm and Super 35 mm lenses. Are there any Super 35 mm lenses? What is the image size of Super 35, 35 mm, and 65 mm 3 perf. lenses? What is the min. distance of the rear lens element to the film plane in these different formats?

Would there be a market for a 35 mm adapter that would work as well or better than P+S Pro 35 and would work with full image size of Nikon, Canon, and other SLR camera lenses? Would there be a market for such an adapter for use with Super 16 mm cameras?

If current follow focus units don't offer good performance with these lenses, would there be a market for high quality follow focus unit that would focus smoothly and precisely with 35 mm SLR lenses, including zooms, where the focus ring moves during zooming?

To make 35 mm SLR lenses acceptable, would it be enough to include a collapsible long stick type zoom lever, or would a knob or a crank be needed?

On a follow focus, would LCD readout of distance and speed of focus be usefull?

P+S Pro 35 weighs 4.85 lbs (2.2 kg) and is 6.4" (162 mm) long. Would a larger unit be acceptable, if the performance would be better? Would a heavier unit be acceptable? Proper supporting railing would be provided.

If lower light loss than with P+S be available and there would not be image problems, like corner darkening with certain lenses on Pro 35, would it be a big plus?

If a lenses produces on ground glass 2x larger image diagonal, is the DOF 4x smaller?

Would there be a market for a unit that accepts medium SLR format lenses - 6x4.5 cm; how about 65 mm cine lenses? Would these lenses have any advantages?

Would there be a market for a sun shade that would allow closing of the shade with zoomin out, either automatic or manual?

What is the F-stop, or at least T-stop, on 35 mm lenses that the industry is using? Is the range of the max aparture for various typical lenses from F1.2 to F4, or what is it? What is the range on the most commonly used lenses?

What are the manufacturers of 35 mm lenses?

Can you buy lens mounts or adapters for 35 mm lenses? Where?

Would there be market for an adapter that can switch between two different DOF's, or would that be an overkill?

I really appreciate any kind of help you could give me,

Jim

#2 david west

david west
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:56 AM

yes,no, yes,yes,

no,rondexter,yes,not sure, not sure,

no, no

probably not,

no, no

yes,

not related

no, none

perhaps

1.2??,, 1.2-22

try google.com - zeiss, angenieux, cannon, nikon, mattel...

yes, les brochere or email me...

already done by a company in australia

http://www.dvinfo.ne...isplay.php?f=70

#3 cine2006

cine2006
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:48 AM

Thanks for your reply, David. I rewrote the original questions and, in bold, your answers, and numberd everything. If anyone else could contribute, I'd greately appreciate it. If you would have comments to any questions, you could just write a number of that question and your answer. I've added additional comments in italic.

1. Has anyone tried to use 35 mm SLR lenses to shoot video or film? yes, What are the issues with using these lenses?

2. Can they be used with quality follow focus amd also similar "zoom" unit? no,

3. Can they be mounted on 35 mm cine cameras? yes,

4. Are there any adapters? yes,

5. Do all 35 mm leses use the same mount? no,

6. If not, where can I get the mount information? rondexter,

7. I also need information on image diagonal for 35 mm and Super 35 mm lenses. Are there any Super 35 mm lenses? yes,

8. What is the image size of Super 35, 35 mm, and 65 mm 3 perf. lenses? not sure,

9. What is the min. distance of the rear lens element to the film plane in these different formats? not sure, Is there any link to a cutout of a camera and mounted lens, or any other way to find out this distance, or at least distance of the flange, where the lens mounts to the film plane? Does anyone know the distance between the rear lens element and the film plane at least approximately? What parts are between the rear lens element and the film plane; just a shutter?

10. Would there be a market for a 35 mm adapter that would work as well or better than P+S Pro 35 and would work with full image size of Nikon, Canon, and other SLR camera lenses? no, Why not?

11. Would there be a market for such an adapter for use with Super 16 mm cameras? no

12. If current follow focus units don't offer good performance with these lenses, would there be a market for high quality follow focus unit that would focus smoothly and precisely with 35 mm SLR lenses, including zooms, where the focus ring moves during zooming? probably not, Why probaly not? These lenses are very inexpensive and of high grade.

13. To make 35 mm SLR lenses acceptable, would it be enough to include a collapsible long stick type zoom lever, no,

14. or would a knob or a crank be needed? no The 35 mm SLR zoom lenses, mainly the auto-focus type, have short range, "not smooth" zoom rings. If a follow focus type unit was developed that would allow smooth zooming, would there be market for it?

15. On a follow focus, would LCD readout of distance and speed of focus be usefull? yes, If 35 mm adapter would be developed for auto-focus 35 mm SLR lenses and it would have auto-focus feature, where at a push of a button the lens would auto-focus, but the auto-focus would not be continuous and could be used only when not shooting, would there be a market for such a feature? How about if it could auto-focus continuously during shooting? How desirable would such features be?

16. P+S Pro 35 weighs 4.85 lbs (2.2 kg) and is 6.4" (162 mm) long. Would a larger unit be acceptable, if the performance would be better? Would a heavier unit be acceptable? Proper supporting railing would be provided. I'd really like to get some answers.

17. If lower light loss than with P+S be available and there would not be image problems, like corner darkening with certain lenses on Pro 35, would it be a big plus? I'd really like to get some answers.

18. If a lenses produces on ground glass 2x larger image diagonal, is the DOF 4x smaller? I'd really like to get some answers.

19. Would there be a market for a unit that accepts medium SLR format lenses - 6x4.5 cm; no, The adapter would allow greater DOF.

20. how about 65 mm cine lenses? Would these lenses have any advantages? none The adapter would allow greater DOF.

21. Would there be a market for a sun shade that would allow closing of the shade with zooming out, either automatic or manual?perhaps Would manual control be enough, or would automatic closing and opening related to zoom be really desired?

22. What is the F-stop, or at least T-stop, on 35 mm lenses that the industry is using? Is the range of the max aparture for various typical lenses from F1.2 to F4, or what is it? What is the range on the most commonly used lenses? 1.2??,, 1.2-22 I am talking about the max aperture of the verious lenses that are commonly used. I know that Zeiss has high speed lenses with T1.3 max. aperture. I would like to know if other lenses that would be commonly used have max. aperture e.g. F1.2-F4, or what is the range of the max iris opening on these lenses as a whole bunch?

23. What are the manufacturers of 35 mm lenses? try google.com - zeiss, angenieux, cannon, nikon, mattel...

24. Can you buy lens mounts or adapters for 35 mm lenses? Where? yes, les brochere or email me...

25. Would there be market for an adapter that can switch between two different DOF's, or would that be an overkill? already done by a company in australia http://www.dvinfo.ne...orumdisplay.php? f=70
Would such swith be a desired feature, or would it be an overkill?

I'd really appreciate any kind of help I get on this.

Jim

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:47 AM

1. Has anyone tried to use 35 mm SLR lenses to shoot video or film? yes, What are the issues with using these lenses?

SW Yes they can be used, but focus not user friendly.

2. Can they be used with quality follow focus amd also similar "zoom" unit? no,

SW Some companies modify still lenses for use.

5. Do all 35 mm leses use the same mount? no,

SW Arri PL mount important, followed by Panavision and BNCR as options

6. If not, where can I get the mount information? rondexter,

SW www.rondexter.com

8. What is the image size of Super 35, 35 mm, and 65 mm 3 perf. lenses? not sure,

SW check out ground glass sizes on www.arri.de

9. What is the min. distance of the rear lens element to the film plane in these different formats? not sure, Is there any link to a cutout of a camera and mounted lens, or any other way to find out this distance, or at least distance of the flange, where the lens mounts to the film plane? Does anyone know the distance between the rear lens element and the film plane at least approximately? What parts are between the rear lens element and the film plane; just a shutter?

SW The lens has to just clear the shutter. The Zeiss Ultra Prime 16mm is a good example of pushing the limits!

10. Would there be a market for a 35 mm adapter that would work as well or better than P+S Pro 35 and would work with full image size of Nikon, Canon, and other SLR camera lenses? no, Why not?

SW Shooting in vistavision format would require a higher level of lighting so not a big plus point.

11. Would there be a market for such an adapter for use with Super 16 mm cameras? no

SW Probably not, just use fast lenses for limited DOF!

16. P+S Pro 35 weighs 4.85 lbs (2.2 kg) and is 6.4" (162 mm) long. Would a larger unit be acceptable, if the performance would be better? Would a heavier unit be acceptable? Proper supporting railing would be provided. I'd really like to get some answers.

SW No 2.2kg is heavy enough!

17. If lower light loss than with P+S be available and there would not be image problems, like corner darkening with certain lenses on Pro 35, would it be a big plus? I'd really like to get some answers.

SW If the lens has a big enough exit pupil it will cover without problems.

18. If a lenses produces on ground glass 2x larger image diagonal, is the DOF 4x smaller? I'd really like to get some answers.

SW If you enlarge the image 4x bigger yes. Otherwise the DOF will remain the same.

19. Would there be a market for a unit that accepts medium SLR format lenses - 6x4.5 cm; no, The adapter would allow greater DOF.

SW Medium format lens have no advantage, and may not be as sharp as 35mm lenses.

20. how about 65 mm cine lenses? Would these lenses have any advantages? none The adapter would allow greater DOF.

SW None, just too big and mabe less DOF if you enlarge further, but why reinvent the wheel?

21. Would there be a market for a sun shade that would allow closing of the shade with zooming out, either automatic or manual?perhaps Would manual control be enough, or would automatic closing and opening related to zoom be really desired?

SW I don't really like toys, but it could have a tiny use if it was automatic.

22. What is the F-stop, or at least T-stop, on 35 mm lenses that the industry is using? Is the range of the max aparture for various typical lenses from F1.2 to F4, or what is it? What is the range on the most commonly used lenses? 1.2??,, 1.2-22 I am talking about the max aperture of the verious lenses that are commonly used. I know that Zeiss has high speed lenses with T1.3 max. aperture. I would like to know if other lenses that would be commonly used have max. aperture e.g. F1.2-F4, or what is the range of the max iris opening on these lenses as a whole bunch?

SW Most modern lenses have a max opening between T1.2 and T2. The most used IMO is T2.8-5.6.

24. Can you buy lens mounts or adapters for 35 mm lenses? Where? yes, les brochere or email me...

SW www.lesbosher.co.uk will make you what you want!

25. Would there be market for an adapter that can switch between two different DOF's, or would that be an overkill? already done by a company in australia http://www.dvinfo.ne...orumdisplay.php? f=70
Would such swith be a desired feature, or would it be an overkill?

SW Overkill, why reinvent the wheel?

Jim

#5 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:50 AM

Is there anyone lurking this thread who has an opinion about using K mount Pentax SMC lenses on an Arri 2C? I've got a bag full of Pentax lenses that I'd love to use on my Arri. Pentax SMC series lenses aren't as esteemed as Nikon or Canon but they're still a pretty good lens. I bought an old CP BNCR hardfront out of England and to use K mount lenses would have an adapter from K mount to BNCR made by Les Bosher, Century, etc. The idea behind using BNCR on the camera is that I could always rent BNCR mount lenses as needed, if I had a K mount hardfront made I would be up the creek if I ever needed to rent lenses for a project.

Edmond, OK

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

CineLab

Paralinx LLC