filters and wide angle lens together - cheapest way?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lukeo

Lukeo
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:48 AM

Hey all

I'm picking up my new camcorder in a few days :the Panasonic GS400 , and I want to get some information straight before I talk to the salesman. I want to buy a wide angle lens for the camcorder, but then I need to also buy a UV filter to protect the cam. How do I cost effectively use these without having to buy seperate filters for the cam's threads, and the threads on the wide angle lens? Because the cam always needs to be protected with it!

http://raynox.co.jp/...00pro/index.htm

I need a UV filter, Do I get one that will fit the standard threads on the cam, or one that will accomodate the threads on the wide angle and just always keep the wide angle on, since it the raynox site says you have full zoom capability with it.

I figure I will keep the wide angle on a lot, but wondering how far I can zoom with it on?

What's my best bet buying seperate filters for the cams threads, and buying seperate filters for the wide angle lens threads? What do most people do in this situation? Because I'll also want to use polarizer filter, neutral density etc but i know it is mandatory to always have the UV filter on.

I'm lost! Is there some kind of product you can buy to easily interchange filters, or will I have to resort to route of a bunch of steup/step down rings and if so..which ones, in what order???

Luke

#2 Matthew Parnell

Matthew Parnell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Electrician
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:41 AM

A wide angle lense might have full zoom capability, but the image quality WILL NOT be anywhere as good as without the wide. I would only use the wide when it is necessary.

The UV filter protects the lense from scratching and dust both in storage and while filming. On the GS400 when using other filters and lenses you DO NOT use the UV filter, not only is it unnessary to protect the lense, but also the on GS400 doubling filters creates ugly black corners.

In addition to the UV filters for the camera(43mm) and the wide(62mm) I would get two sets of filters, one for the wide's thread size with the filters you will use with the wide, and a set for the camera without the wide. If you were to try to step up to 62mm your filters would be wider than the front of the camera and easier to strip the thread from, and significantly more likely to pick up flares and other interference, thats why two sets would be better.

For filters other than the UV on the camera get 49mm filters, and use a stepping ring from the 43 to 49. 49mm filters are about the same price, but are much easier to get as most stores carry them in stock. 43's usually have to be specially ordered(a process that i have learnt from previous experience has taken up to 5 weeks for a circ. polar).

Also GS400 has a filter screw specically for wide and tele angle lenses which can make life easier in interchanging between normal and wide. You just need to grab the silver front of the camera in front of the focus/zoom/apeture/etc ring, and it unscrews off, and there is the wide/tele lense ring underneath that.

cheers.

matt.

Edited by Matthew Parnell, 14 February 2006 - 04:43 AM.

#3 Lukeo

Lukeo
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:15 AM

Hey,

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean here "If you were to try to step up to 62mm your filters would be wider than the front of the camera and easier to strip the thread from, and significantly more likely to pick up flares and other interference, thats why two sets would be better."

It seems like my best and cheapest option, to just use a couple step up rings and have all my filters at 62mm size for use with and without the wide lens adapter on the cam. How is it easier to strip the thread from? and what kind of other interference could I pick up? what if you make a lens hood, wouldn't that solve those issues, or use a flag blocking the light from around the lens? I really appreciate your reply, just curious on that part, before i buy. Thanks again.

Luke

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets