#1 Stuart C

Stuart C
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Director

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:31 AM

Hi,

I've just about completed a short film shot on mini HDV (16x9 PAL 1080 50i) and looking to transfer to 35mm.

I have obtained quotes both here in Australia and Overseas from various transfer facilities and found the process to be very expensive.

I am wondering if anyone has attempted to transfer video to film on their own using a projector/monitor and a 35mm camera. I have attempted this before with SD video and Super 8 and had quite good results.

The plan would be to convert the mini HDV master to HDCAM 24p and screen on a HD Monitor. I would then film the monitor, taking one frame at a time before processing.

I've estimated this method would be about half the cost of having it transferred at a post production house.

What are some issues that may arise? Is this feasible or an 'experiment in terror' ??

Thanks,
Stuart Clegg

#2 Erdwolf_TVL

Erdwolf_TVL
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:13 AM

Hi,

I've just about completed a short film shot on mini HDV (16x9 PAL 1080 50i) and looking to transfer to 35mm.

I have obtained quotes both here in Australia and Overseas from various transfer facilities and found the process to be very expensive.

I am wondering if anyone has attempted to transfer video to film on their own using a projector/monitor and a 35mm camera. I have attempted this before with SD video and Super 8 and had quite good results.

The plan would be to convert the mini HDV master to HDCAM 24p and screen on a HD Monitor. I would then film the monitor, taking one frame at a time before processing.

I've estimated this method would be about half the cost of having it transferred at a post production house.

What are some issues that may arise? Is this feasible or an 'experiment in terror' ??

Thanks,
Stuart Clegg

The big problem with conventional displays, is that the three colours are slightly offset for each pixel. When you enlarge the frame, you are likely to notice artifacts. Also, the pixels often have black spaces between them. IMHO, DIY will make it look more like a big TV screen than a movie!

If you use a DLP projector with a colour wheel or a CRT project (do they even make those anymore?) you will reduce or eliminate the above problem. Snap a 35mm slide off your screen and project it onto a huge screen. You will get an idea of the artifacting.

The other thing to consider, is that you may need to add some logic to the conversion process. Downsampling 25 to 24 frames per second is no laughing matter. You may end up doing the process one frame at a time, which could take a while.

#3 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 19 February 2006 - 01:43 PM

This all sounds like a really bad idea.

Shooting HDV, and then going to 35 is pointless. You should have started with 35.

I think the point that you are missing is that 35 is great and wonderful, but printing back to it from a shitty medium, doesn't mean that it's going to look great.

When projected (think circle of confusion) all of your digital artifacts (which will be there because of the 5:1 compression), plus shooting off a monitor will be enlarged to the size of a human head on a projection screen.

Also, you are going to loose your colors saturation, plus focus.

It's a terrible idea. Pay the money for it.

#4 Alexandre Lucena

Alexandre Lucena
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:07 PM

Hi Stuart,

Do you really need a copy of your short in 35mm? Have you ever considered hiring a HD
projector and install it in the theatre? I ask you these questions because now and then
we are faced with this dilema(investing huge chunks of money in a 35mm print). We have
been successful in making arrangements with theatre managers in my town(Recife, Brazil)
for groups of movie movie makers to present their work. There is an ever growing trend
for video projections along with 35mm in festivals as well.

Best Regards

Alexandre

#5 Stuart C

Stuart C
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for the tips.

I was really just curious is anyone had attempted to do it. I won't be!

Cheers,
Stuart

#6 Alexandre Lucena

Alexandre Lucena
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:28 PM

Please, I do not intend to turn this into a video against film war thing and all that blah blah blah.
in fact if an Aaton prod were a girl it would be a pretty one :D

Opal

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc