3 replies to this topic

#1 Cole Webley

Cole Webley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 February 2006 - 06:35 PM

I shot this music video last summer and transferred it at a small transfer house in Utah. I am studying film at BYU and couldn't afford to go out to California and pay the big bucks...all in all pretty happy, could be better but that's what we are here to learn, right?

Let me know what I could have done better (I didn't direct--so I am asking mostly for feedback on the "look" and visual asthetics)

Cheers

-C

Here is the link:
The band is Taught Me out of Salt Lake City

http://www.provopodc...ws/TaughtMe.mp4

#2 Jeremy

Jeremy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:46 PM

Looks good. I especially like the shot of the bulb smashing.

#3 LondonFilmMan

LondonFilmMan
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:13 AM

On the face of it, it was fine and I'd say nice job.

But here's a rather harsh yet humble opinion for its 2c worth...

THE MUSIC
I quite like the song. Can we call it pop? Couldn?t he sing (a little) lower when he begins with ?you are not going to know where I?m at??? Once he gets into the chorus though, his ?higher pitch? seems more appropriate somehow. Nice though? I might have thought some background harmony from either a) warm harmonists B) a kid?s choir, might have helped. (I say that based on the sound only rather than the meaning asserted through this song). By the way, was it me or did the chorus sound, for a moment, like a certain famous Irish singer who?s been quite big in the US since the 80s?

THE LOOK
Generally, it was rather limited, cold, lonely, not so interesting, and narcissistic. Sorry. Here?s why?
Shots of lights are fine (because light is ?alive?, it?s ?living?) but inanimate objects like telephones, whilst symbolic, are cold. Both however are safe and easy to control elements, and that?s why I think you used them. I feel that another person in this picture would have suitably warmed this picture up, giving it, and him, ?hope? or even giving this ?downer? a happy and warmer ending. (Or you could go the other way and make it more like The Cure, but then you?d need to dress the set and him and give him an entirely new image?..whatever..........I wouldn't)

He comes across as a bit of a narcissist, in the way he sings about himself. (?you are not going to know where I?m at???) Will this win points with the general public? It would have been better if he included someone else, so he?s not taking *all* the credit.

Couldn?t there be a ?she??

(At least) couldn?t she appear through the curtain at the end and he turn to join her in a warm smile? It might leave us with a smile after watching this ?lonely? piece of work.

By the way, when he?s sat in front of the chair on the floor with the lights flickering away -- that was quite ?dramatic? and good. And I have to say, I liked some edits, especially the reversals.

Overall, you made a very good job within a few 'boring' rooms. It might have been better with a few other *factors* rather than inanimate objects.

No 'competing' people + inanimate objects = was it all about him?

(it's only my humble opinion for its 2c worth)

#4 Cole Webley

Cole Webley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for the advice and replies so far...I have to run to work but I will give feedback later!

-c

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Opal

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

CineLab

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS