3 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Eitelbach

Jason Eitelbach
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 February 2006 - 06:54 PM

So I have basic questions about ground glass and framing.

In my Arri 35 BL-4 viewfinder I have a normal academy ground glass. These academy lines are shifted to the right. This is for the soundtrack correct?

So if, when I transfer the footage full frame and I see more picture in the left hand side that's because the camera aperture captures some extra frame on the negative, which would be discarded in the printing process.

So if I want to use the frame lines in the ground glass to compose accurately just need to re-center the image in the telecine to compensate for the extra space.

I hope I'm describing this correctly, I think I know what the "problem" is but I just need someone to confirm/correct my hypothesis.

thanks,
je

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:02 PM

So I have basic questions about ground glass and framing.

In my Arri 35 BL-4 viewfinder I have a normal academy ground glass. These academy lines are shifted to the right. This is for the soundtrack correct?
So if, when I transfer the footage full frame and I see more picture in the left hand side that's because the camera aperture captures some extra frame on the negative, which would be discarded in the printing process.
So if I want to use the frame lines in the ground glass to compose accurately just need to re-center the image in the telecine to compensate for the extra space.

I hope I'm describing this correctly, I think I know what the "problem" is but I just need someone to confirm/correct my hypothesis.
thanks,
je

You didn't say what you want to compose for and what the end product is. Super-35? Super-35 for 4x3 TV? For 16x9 TV? For Super 1.85? For 2.35 extraction? Or do you want to frame for a sound projection format?

If you camera is set-up for a sound aperture, then the lens is centered for this offset, not centered for Full Aperture / Super-35, even if the Full Aperture is being exposed.

#3 Jason Eitelbach

Jason Eitelbach
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:56 AM

You didn't say what you want to compose for and what the end product is. Super-35? Super-35 for 4x3 TV? For 16x9 TV? For Super 1.85? For 2.35 extraction? Or do you want to frame for a sound projection format?

If you camera is set-up for a sound aperture, then the lens is centered for this offset, not centered for Full Aperture / Super-35, even if the Full Aperture is being exposed.

Sorry,

It's 4-perf 35mm 1.66 sound projection format.

So if I were to compose for the silent gate/camera aperture I could telecine for 4x3 TV, but if I wanted to make a film print I would need to make a reduction to fit the Silent gate into the Academy offset frame, is this correct?

I'm trying to shoot for a telecine, but compose in such way that we could make a film print in the future.

Thanks again for your help,

je

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:30 AM

If you want to shoot for 1.66 35mm projection, then you don't want to use the Full Aperture gate, you want to use the Sound Aperture area, so you can just make a contact print off of your negative and project it with a 1.66 projection mask.

If you framed across Full Aperture (Silent / Super-35) you'd have to optically or digitally reduce the image to a new 35mm internegative to fit within the sound aperture area. It only makes sense to use Full Aperture if you were planning on spending the money for a digital intermediate anyway for some other reason. Otherwise, shoot standard 1.66 for contact printing.

Your camera is already set-up with an Academy groundglass, so I assume that the lens is optically centered for Academy. So all you need is 1.66 framelines within Academy, and to shoot a framing chart so that the telecine colorist knows to transfer the Sound Aperture area, not Full Aperture, and that you want to letterbox to 1.66.

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS