#2 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 17 February 2006 - 03:12 PM

there seems to be nothing really "that new" about that camera.

I've been hearing lately about people that can Hack into the 100a, and within a few hours (their first time) unlock a tons of features, including being able to shoot 720p.

#3 Greg Gross

Greg Gross
  • Sustaining Members
  • 869 posts
  • Harrisburg,PA

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:17 PM

I enjoyed your post. You woke my eyes up,I'm amazed!
I like your two stills from "Rough Night 2".

Greg Gross

#4 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:27 PM

there seems to be nothing really "that new" about that camera.

I've been hearing lately about people that can Hack into the 100a, and within a few hours (their first time) unlock a tons of features, including being able to shoot 720p.

No, if there were anything but added creature comforts and improvements it wouldnt be a B model, it would be a DVX-200 (look at the history of names from every manufacturer and models they have produced. eg, XL-1, XL-1S then to the XL-2)

Now what are you saying about hacking? I have heard with a mod it can output an SDI signal, but I fail to see how a 'hack' can make it record both more resolution than the Chips can physically provide, and record more resolution than the tape system can hold (Unless this hack turns on HDV, a spec that was not availible when the 100A was released.) is this magic?

#5 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:58 PM

I fail to see how a 'hack' can make it record both more resolution than the Chips can physically provide, and record more resolution than the tape system can hold

Indeed, it sounds like magic. What is possible is to output the RAW chip data into a computer via USB and end up with uncompressed high resolution video that is better in every way (dynamic range, noise, sensitivity) than any of the current 1/3" chip HD cameras. Just look at the frame grabs and resolution charts on their site and you'll see why some folks are excited about it.

www.reel-stream.com

#6 Elliot Rudmann

Elliot Rudmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:02 AM

Yeah, I've heard about that, but paying $3000 for them to do that is absolutely outrageous. I'll save that money, and take the money I'd get by selling my DVX to purchase the HVX.

#7 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:49 AM

No, if there were anything but added creature comforts and improvements it wouldnt be a B model, it would be a DVX-200 (look at the history of names from every manufacturer and models they have produced. eg, XL-1, XL-1S then to the XL-2)

Now what are you saying about hacking? I have heard with a mod it can output an SDI signal, but I fail to see how a 'hack' can make it record both more resolution than the Chips can physically provide, and record more resolution than the tape system can hold (Unless this hack turns on HDV, a spec that was not availible when the 100A was released.) is this magic?

Totally understood.

Second part of your post; you ever see options in a camera menu that were grey'ed out? It's just a computer, and with enough knowledge, you can unlock those features, or better yet if you are good enough, add your own. Once you put a computer into a camera, it's the same as writing code/debugging code for a computer program.

#8 Jaan Shenberger

Jaan Shenberger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:13 AM

Totally understood.

Second part of your post; you ever see options in a camera menu that were grey'ed out? It's just a computer, and with enough knowledge, you can unlock those features, or better yet if you are good enough, add your own. Once you put a computer into a camera, it's the same as writing code/debugging code for a computer program.

up up, down down, left right, left right, B, A, start-- 30 lives!, uh, i mean, uncompressed 720p footage!

thank you, nintendo for teaching me the secrets of digital cinematography!

Edited by jaan, 18 February 2006 - 02:15 AM.

#9 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:10 AM

up up, down down, left right, left right, B, A, start-- 30 lives!, uh, i mean, uncompressed 720p footage!

thank you, nintendo for teaching me the secrets of digital cinematography!

I thought that was a roundhouse kick in mortal kombat?

#10 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:22 PM

I'll save that money, and take the money I'd get by selling my DVX to purchase the HVX.

Sounds like a good plan, assuming the HVX does a better job... But...

The modified DVX captures significantly more highlight detail than the HVX200 in addition to having a full stop more sensitivity than the HVX200, with less noise, and several hundred more lines of resolution than the HVX200.

For less money.

I'm not saying that is a reason to buy it, but it is good to know before spending more money on something that does less in certain key areas (resolution, noise, sensitivity, dynamic range).

Resolution Charts:
http://forum.reel-st...09a7ad9bc870f0f

Dynamic Range Tests:
http://www.reel-stre...dline.php?id=99

I'd have to add that selectable framerates and portability are among the very few compelling reasons for me to use an HVX200 over this system -- if I had to pick between the two.

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Opal

The Slider

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc