#1 Austin Schmidt

Austin Schmidt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, Los Angeles

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:05 PM

With Fuji's introduction of their new Eterna series, they have claimed a reduction of "noise" in the blue level. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. If that is the case I would imagine that would be an important consideration if one was to shoot with Tungsten film in an outdoor situation without using an 85 filter for correction with the desired look being a monochromatic blue. Would the "noise" but that much more apparent in Kodak stocks vs. Fuji's? Yes, test, test, test, however I was just wondering if anyone has had an experience or an opinion about this matter.

Edited by A.Schmidt, 17 February 2006 - 01:06 PM.

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:20 PM

With Fuji's introduction of their new Eterna series, they have claimed a reduction of "noise" in the blue level. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. If that is the case I would imagine that would be an important consideration if one was to shoot with Tungsten film in an outdoor situation without using an 85 filter for correction with the desired look being a monochromatic blue. Would the "noise" but that much more apparent in Kodak stocks vs. Fuji's? Yes, test, test, test, however I was just wondering if anyone has had an experience or an opinion about this matter.

I believe the reduction in "noise" is relative to their previous product. Don't confuse "noise" with graininess --- in a transfer of a color negative, some telecines exhibit more electronic "noise" in the highlight areas, mostly as a function of the blue density. By all means test, but I think the Kodak VISION2 films will compare favorably.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:51 PM

Noise is an electronic artifact. The Eterna line is finer grained than previously, but they may be referring to the fact that they changed the density of the orange color mask to improve noise in scanning / telecine.

Anyway, a daylight-balanced film will still have a relatively slower-speed (thus finer-grained) blue layer compared to a tungsten film of the same ASA. So probably Eterna 250D will have slightly less grainy blues than Eterna 250T.

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio