Charlie Wuppermann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 February 2006 - 03:00 PM

hello there.

i just had an idea and can't get my head around what would happen ....

so what happens if I take an anamorphic lens and turn it around in the mount by 90 degree. i know that you have to change the mount on the back in order to do that, but that is possible (i checked with a camera technican). the question is what would happen to the image? would it be cropped? how much of the negative would you still be using? and would one have to get a new viewfinder which desquezes the image differently?

any ideas much appreciated! thank you!

#2 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 February 2006 - 03:40 PM

Since you will end up with a vertically squeezed picture the question is what you will do with it afterwards:

If you shoot 4 perf the picture on you neg will be rectangular, but higher (8 perfs desqueezed) than wide.

- So if you project it with a regular anamorphic lens, then your horizontals will look stretched out and your verticals will look squeezed together.

- If you rotate the anamorphic projector lens as well by 90 degrees (thereby unsqueezing what you previously squeezed), then you will end up with a picture that is higher than wide.

On the other hand:

If you shoot 2 perf with your rotated anamorphic lens, then you will end up with an Academy picture on your neg, but taking up only 2 perfs, not 4. If you unsqueeze it afterwards (in the lab, while doing your print) you would get a regular Academy ratio, but you would have saved 50 percent on negative stock while shooting.

And if you shoot 1 perf (good luck trying to find a camera that can do that), then you would get a Cinemscope picture on your neg. If you made a regular 35mm scope print off that, then you would have saved an amazing 75% on negative filmstock and a 1000 ft roll would last you 44 minutes!

#3 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:48 PM

And if you shoot 1 perf (good luck trying to find a camera that can do that), then you would get a Cinemscope picture on your neg. If you made a regular 35mm scope print off that, then you would have saved an amazing 75% on negative filmstock and a 1000 ft roll would last you 44 minutes!

Don't give anyone any crazy ideas Max. I can see the new posts now...."1 Perf--How can I do it?"

#4 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:25 PM

One of my old cost saving formats flashed into my mind from this thread: the 1-perf 35mm pulldown with an
anamorphic lens turned 90 degrees, like mentioned. That would yield a 2.40:1 image by quadrupling the duration of the stock. Call it Adam-o-scope, if you wish :D .

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:28 PM

You can rent a lens attachment called a Mesmerizer, which is an anamorphic element that you can rotate freely.

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies