• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:02 AM

on a recent location scout I realised that I'd require some kind of long reaching (around 15 feet) arm to shoot from a beach to a sea wall. The reason being that the beach level is shelved with sloping concrete down from the sea wall to the beach. I'm therefor looking for a simple and cheap jib arm for static shots - to hit the actors level. Depending on the boards it might also be used to swing out from the sea wall to shoot the actors in a similar way (head on). Its been a while since I used a jib arm in this kind of way and last time (a few years ago with an SR3 advanced) I think I used this one. Does anyone have experience of this jib or recommend preferable alternatives. I'm looking for simplicity and cheap rental price, it must also be able to take a 35mm camera (probably an aaton 3).

thanks for all your help,

keith

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20072 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:56 AM

For that sort of a reach, you're talking more like a crane arm than a jib.

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:29 PM

I don't think an EZ/FX jib has that kind of reach. There are a few lightweight guy-wire susspension jibs that are fairly cheap but they can be limited and a bit finiky to rig. I should think that for what you describe a Jimmy Jib would perfectly fit the bill.

#4 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

It's also likely to be windy that close to the ocean, and small jibs and cranes don't react well to wind.

#5 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies, a jimmy jib would be perfect, unfortunately it would just eat into too much of the rediculously low budget. so I need to find a compromise between the two. As far as the wind goes, it is generally not that bad- and if it is it will pretty much screw up all the other aspects as well! It looks like the production is moving towards shooting on a F900 or 750p so I'll have to see what the best option is for that sort of weight.

keith

#6 Sam Martin

Sam Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Director
  • London, UK

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:21 AM

The guys at DECODE DIGITAL in London UK have a EZFX jib with extended kit, up to 16 ft, with a KE EMU eagle lite remote head. They have recently added it to their kit but I've heard good things about it. I am actually using the kit next week monday April 3 and can give you some feedback on the system. We still have to decide what camera we will be using but it looks like it will be a DSR570. The kit should be able to handle a stripped down HDCAM camera anyway.

How much weight you think the rig should be able to supprt?

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

FJS International, LLC