Has anyone used The Gimp or Cinepaint.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ronney Ross

Ronney Ross
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:05 PM

Hi lately I have had a chance to use the GNU image manipulation program (The Gimp) for fun and have found it to be a very powerful program. This program is free and has the ability to convert images/and brushes from Photoshop(just to get a clue to how close it is to photoshop.) I Found out that a film version of this program is offered under the name Cinepaint. Just wondering if anyone has used it and how does it seem to measure up to Adobe products for editing.

-Ronney Ross

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

Hi,

Cinepaint is not a nonlinear editor, it's a version of GIMP with a DPX loader and certain other improvements. As such the actual edit functionality of the thing is pretty much identical to GIMP, which is a pale shadow of modern versions of Photoshop. The assertation that GIMP is the "Linux version of Photoshop" is a complete fallacy.

Phil

#3 Ronney Ross

Ronney Ross
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:07 PM

Thanks Phil,

I wasn't sure about Cinepaint just caught a glimpse of the website where it mention studios like Imageworks uses this program. I thought it was a nonlinear editing version of the gimp.
So will it allow color correcting individual frame and transfer to another program like adobe creative suite or
even Pinnacle Studio 9
-Ronney Ross

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:30 PM

I have a friend who's a graphic designer and he swears by it. He downloaded it for my 10 year old nefew, who's interested in becoming a CG artist. If Im remembering correctly, he said it was a bit more difficult to use than Photoshop, had less features and the learning curve was a bit more difficult as well but, hey, for free it ain't a bad deal.

I like Blender as well. It's a free animation program that was created for game developers. It was the first anamation program I worked with and I had a lot of fun with it before I got Lightwave and Maya. I think there's also a limited free version of Maya out there somewhere unless they stopped it.

There was a couple of free compositing programs which were called I belive Axigon or something like that and Icurus, if I'm not mistaken, but I haven't seen those in a while.

I'm sure everyone knows about the free editing programs, A/B Roll and a couple of others. They're generally limited to one track of video and 2 of audio but they're better than nothing if your broke.

Edited by Capt.Video, 19 February 2006 - 07:31 PM.

#5 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:29 PM

I used the GIMP way back in the day, and I couldn't get used to the GUI.

Just me.

#6 Kai.w

Kai.w
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:11 AM

Cinepaint handles 32 Bit/channel files (HDR float). Thats one of the reasons it was used in some VFX studios.
I have not worked with CS 2 but it seems 32 Bit support is much better now, so...
As Phil Rhodes said, you cannot compare Gimp to Photoshop (unfortunately).

-k

#7 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:39 AM

I used the GIMP way back in the day, and I couldn't get used to the GUI.

Just me.

I'm glad I read the thread before responding. I thought you were asking about the guy in the box from "Pulp Fiction".

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Technodolly

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Glidecam