• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:07 PM

I saw 'Three Days of the Condor' in a theatre today and was completely baffled that this anamorphic film was shown in 1.85. I am absolutely sure that it was shot in anamorphic, as there were the telltale signes (blue flares, oval highlights). But you had the typical pan& scan lateral 'cameramoves' that ajusted the composition and the print didn't look very sharp either. Also some of the shots looked zoomed in. Especially close-ups seemed to have the lower part of the frame cut off. Could it that be that what was on the print is a 1.33 Pan & Scan which was masked off for 1.85 projection?

The bigger question is of course why would anyone strike a print like that?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:15 PM

Could it have just been cropped on the sides in projection? I once saw a screening of "Alien 3" like that at a 2nd-run theater, cropped to less than 2:1.

#3 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:25 PM

I saw 'Three Days of the Condor' in a theatre today and was completely baffled that this anamorphic film was shown in 1.85. I am absolutely sure that it was shot in anamorphic, as there were the telltale signes (blue flares, oval highlights). But you had the typical pan& scan lateral 'cameramoves' that ajusted the composition and the print didn't look very sharp either. Also some of the shots looked zoomed in. Especially close-ups seemed to have the lower part of the frame cut off. Could it that be that what was on the print is a 1.33 Pan & Scan which was masked off for 1.85 projection?

The bigger question is of course why would anyone strike a print like that?

---It is a 1975 movie. The networks were still running 35mm prints on film chains.
So a there would be a 35mm pan&scan I/N of it.

Either some one at Paramount ordered a print from the wrong I/N or someone at the lab pulled the wrong I/N.
Still someone should have noticed the screwup.

---LV

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Opal