Movie Theatre scene

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Matt Sander

Matt Sander
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:45 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has run into a situation like this.

I am lighting a scene inside a fairly large movie theatre. The two characters enter from the back, and sit in the front row. I want to utilize the light coming from the screen for the key on their faces in a medium shot, but I'm not getting enough light from the existing projector. Any ideas on how to simulate more light off the screen? My first idea was to throw a couple of 1K's or a Chimera in front of the characters (behind the camera), but I am wanting a setup that will allow lighting conditions to change more often (as the movie on the screen progresses). The movie on the screen (which will actually never be shown) is Keaton's The Cameraman, so I can't have any warm colors spilling onto the characters either. Another idea was to shine an HMI from the projector room, onto the screen to up the intensity of reflected light.

We're shooting on 500T Vision2, my lens opens to 2.4 (but I can rent a prime if need be).

Here is a floorplan of the theatre (it is approx. 70ft from the entrance to the front row):
http://www.mattsande...oh_globeint.pdf
The overhead shows the two characters in the third row, but they will be in the first.

All insights are helpful, thank's in advance,

Matt

Edited by Matt Sander, 19 February 2006 - 11:48 PM.

#2 Alex Haspel

Alex Haspel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • vienna, austria

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:26 PM

i'd try putting up a large diffusion frame above the camera and a light with a big, self made shutter (maybe attached to the motor of a big fan) behind it.

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc