#1 Francisco Valdez

Francisco Valdez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York / Santo Domingo

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:38 PM

While planing our shots and estimated setup times, the Director of a film I'm iinvolved in, asked me what constituted a setup. I said that everytime you move the camera, do a change on the lighting or both it constitutes a different setup.

He asked me if this was the dictionary definition of what a setup was. To which I ansewered that this was just my personal understanding, but that there was a good chance that I was wrong.

Does anyone have an answer?

Thanks,

Francisco

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:47 PM

Hi,

I'd take the position that if you were moving a significant amount of equipment that would be a setup, but a small lighting tweak to go from a wide to a closeup might not be, especially if you were just reframing on a zoom or walking sticks in. Getting more shots out of one setup is something one often feels pressured to do on the sort of low-end crap I do, but I'm equally unsure as to whether that's correct use of language.

But that may be because I'm a rank amateur.

Phil

#3 Francisco Valdez

Francisco Valdez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:06 PM

That's kind of my general understanding as well.

For some reason the director is very interested in knowing the exact definition according to the industry standards, that is if such a thing exists. He wants to make sure we are all talking about the same thing, when we have our next meeting with the Line Producer, whom I'm almost sure will have his own personal definition of what a setup is.

Thanks,

Francisco

Hi,

I'd take the position that if you were moving a significant amount of equipment that would be a setup, but a small lighting tweak to go from a wide to a closeup might not be, especially if you were just reframing on a zoom or walking sticks in. Getting more shots out of one setup is something one often feels pressured to do on the sort of low-end crap I do, but I'm equally unsure as to whether that's correct use of language.

But that may be because I'm a rank amateur.

Phil

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:29 PM

Any new angle or shot size that gets a new slate letter, even if there was no relighting, is considered a set-up, even a B-camera angle on the same action. So some set-ups are quick (just zoom in) and some are slow.

This is basically how a script supervisor counts set-ups in the day.

#5 Francisco Valdez

Francisco Valdez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:56 PM

Thanks a lot,

Francisco

Any new angle or shot size that gets a new slate letter, even if there was no relighting, is considered a set-up, even a B-camera angle on the same action. So some set-ups are quick (just zoom in) and some are slow.

This is basically how a script supervisor counts set-ups in the day.

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Opal

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera