#1 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:04 PM

Hi,

I'm about to shoot a short comedy of sorts on a Panavised HDW-750 in 25P mode with zooms, hopefully if all goes to plan. We are sort of using 'Royal Tenenbaums' as one of our influences - I will most likely use very flat, soft light to make the story a little airy.

I want to see if I can achieve a sort of reversal look - it doesn't have to be exact though. I'm going to maybe use some Coral filters and a 1/4 White Promist to add a bit of warmth and soften the image.

I'm assuming achieving a reversal like look won't be that difficult if I take a bit of detail out, crunch the blacks a little and saturate the colours.

I'm also going to try to not burn out highlights completely as I always think this looks very video, but some highlights 'with detail' will most likely feature to give the film that narrow latitude, contrasty look.

- Any suggestions?

- Is it better to do this colour correction in-camera or in-post. I always feel in-post is safer. I know that it is
sometimes dangerous to crunch blacks in camera as you can't always bring back information that has been crunched.

- I have a bit of experience shooting on DV and 16mm so I'm not too worried but I have never shot HD -
however I am fairly confident as I consider HD to be similar to DV with regards to lighting and latitude
...if you know what I mean.

Any other things to look out for when dealing with HD?

Thanks for the help and advice!

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:32 PM

Yes, save it for post unless you have a really good monitor on set all the time.

I have done it in-camera -- basically you set the Master Video Black below "0", you pick one of the more contrasty Gamma preset tables, you turn off Knee or DCC.

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Opal

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

CineTape

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc