#1 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:40 PM

Hi,

I should know how to work this out!....Also I can't get hold of a director's finder to see just now but could someone please tell me what is a 40mm lens in 35mm|Anamorphic equivalent to in 1.85 35mm and 2/3" HDCAM.

Thanks!

#2 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:59 PM

Hi,

I should know how to work this out!....Also I can't get hold of a director's finder to see just now but could someone please tell me what is a 40mm lens in 35mm|Anamorphic equivalent to in 1.85 35mm and 2/3" HDCAM.

Thanks!

---in 35mm 1.85/1 it 's 25mm. This is based on vertical angle i.e. the height.

In 2/3 HD it would be about 8.7mm, based on width.

---LV

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:04 PM

Hi,

Thanks!

Well, you need to be comparing the same aspect ratios, or else what "equivalent" are you looking for? Equivalent horizontal view or equivalent vertical view?

A 40mm anamorphic lens "sees" the same view horizontally as a 20mm spherical lens but it still sees the same view vertically as a 40mm spherical lens.

So it's hard to compare the same lenses to 35mm 1.85 unless you are specifically talking about horizontal view of view. But in that case, a 40mm anamorphic would see the same as a 20mm spherical in 35mm, which would be about an 8mm in a 2/3" CCD HD camera.

#4 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:24 PM

Hi,

Good point.

What I mean is - 'What lenses have the same perspectives or perspective distortion'

How do you work it out?

e.g. A 'standard' 50mm lens in 35mm has the same 'distortion' (that's not the right word..I know) as a 25mm lens in standard 16mm.

Therefore a 40mm lens in Anamorphic must have its equivalent in 35mm and 2/3" HD...so that would be a 20mm and an 8mm to get the same horizontal view.

The only reason I ask is because I read the American Cinematographer article on 'The Royal Tenenbaums' that they used a 40mm lens exclusively for the whole production and they shot Anamorphic.

So I wanted to know what its equivalent would be in normal 35mm to figure out whether it was a wide, standard or long lens.

And then because we are using this film as a reference for a short we are shooting on a HDW750 and have decided to shoot 2.35, I wanted to figure out what lens size I would have to shoot to copy 'The Royal Tenenbaums' if I decided to go down that road. Not that I am going to blatently steal all of their ideas...just some!

Thanks!

#5 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:17 PM

So it's hard to compare the same lenses to 35mm 1.85 unless you are specifically talking about horizontal view of view. But in that case, a 40mm anamorphic would see the same as a 20mm spherical in 35mm, which would be about an 8mm in a 2/3" CCD HD camera.

---'Chinatown' was mostly shot with a 40mm anamorphic.
Alonzo and Polanski considered that equilvalent to a 25mm in 1.85 because it had the same vertical angle.

The vertical would be the more critical dimension since it determines camera distance from a subject for a particular shot size.
1.85 is still wide, though comparing 1.33 and 2.35 would be trickier.

---LV

#6 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:01 PM

Panavision New Zealand has a nice calculator for this. You can use horizontal or vertical fields of view to compare.

http://www.panavisio...lenseqvform.asp

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

CineLab