Wanted 35mm film DP with Package for Feature

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Srikant

Srikant
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:45 PM

We are in early pre-pro for a feature to be shot in midwest during July/Aug 06. Looking for quality DPs with own 35mm package or access to a good one. This is a paid position. Serious considerations only.

Please mail the demo reel to 3317 Wisconsin Ave, St. Louis, MO 63118

Please email me at srikant_chel@hotmail with any questions.

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

We are in early pre-pro for a feature to be shot in midwest during July/Aug 06. Looking for quality DPs with own 35mm package or access to a good one. This is a paid position. Serious considerations only.

So essentially the pay is extremely low, since you're not going to just rent a camera and choose the DP based entirely on merit, right?

#3 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:08 PM

So essentially the pay is extremely low, since you're not going to just rent a camera and choose the DP based entirely on merit, right?

I'm sure if they were budgeted for union scale they would be contacting every below-the-line talent agent between NY and LA, instead of forums on the internet which naturally collect unwarranted criticism of their budget.

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:27 AM

The post said own a package or have access to a good one. Any DP with decent qualifications has contacts and relationships with at least one rental house. I don't own a 35 package but I certainly have "access" to one at good deal prices.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this listing.

Honestly, a few months ago we had a thread about a "low budget" 35mm feature for a few hundred thousand and people jumped on that as not being a real low budget. Y'all can't have it both ways. It is entirely possible that this is a feature with a million dollar budget -- who knows?

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:26 AM

I don't know Mitch, but is 'smells' like someone who wants a free camera first and just hopes a DP is attached to it as an afterthought. But if that's their plan to get a movie made, that's up to them. Personally, I've always avoided any situation where I thought I was being hired for anything other than the quality of my work.

But I'm sure that any DP with their own camera package who is looking for an opportunity to shoot would be interested in such an offer. But providing a camera for free to a feature is almost like paying them instead of being paid.

#6 Arni Heimir

Arni Heimir
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Other
  • Reykjavik/Barcelona

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:48 AM

Rule of thumb: Never trust anyone with an hotmail account.

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

I don't know Mitch, but is 'smells' like someone who wants a free camera first and just hopes a DP is attached to it as an afterthought.

That's what it sounded like to me. No offense to anyone.

#8 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:17 AM

Hey, it doesn't say anything about a "free" camera. I would always quote a price that made it economically viable. It could be a cheapo crap production, but then again it might not. No reason not to think optimistically, even if one is cautious.

#9 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:39 AM

Hey, it doesn't say anything about a "free" camera. I would always quote a price that made it economically viable. It could be a cheapo crap production, but then again it might not. No reason not to think optimistically, even if one is cautious.

You're right, it doesn't.

Just had that impression because if there was a budget to rent the camera, then why put out an ad for a DP with a camera? Why not just put out an ad for a DP? Why in particular must they own a camera?

#10 Sidney King

Sidney King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Director

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:11 AM

of course it's hard to tell much about a specific production on such little information, but a couple things come to mind: a lot of how-to guides and articles out there on low-budget filmmaking recommend hiring a DP who owns his own package (and of course the wisdom of that advice is highly debatable, but it is out there).

It's also possible they're doing their budget break-down to combine camera package and DP as kind of line-item deal, which is probably simpler for them (i.e, "OK, we have 10K for DP and camera. How do we do it?"). And easier than hiring a DP and then asking him for his equipment wish-list and then start nitpicking (and keep in mind how intimidating an equipment log for a fully-loaded 35mm camera package can look to a novice producer).

Of course all this could be easily solved by hearing from Mr. Srikant himself...

but anyway, there are a couple reasons I could see they might be doing things this way, it's not necessarily fishy. Just remember all the standard disclaimers when considering a job...

Edited by Sidney King, 16 March 2006 - 03:15 AM.

#11 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:33 AM

of course it's hard to tell much about a specific production on such little information, but a couple things come to mind: a lot of how-to guides and articles out there on low-budget filmmaking recommend hiring a DP who owns his own package (and of course the wisdom of that advice is highly debatable, but it is out there).

It's also possible they're doing their budget break-down to combine camera package and DP as kind of line-item deal, which is probably simpler for them (i.e, "OK, we have 10K for DP and camera. How do we do it?"). And easier than hiring a DP and then asking him for his equipment wish-list and then start nitpicking (and keep in mind how intimidating an equipment log for a fully-loaded 35mm camera package can look to a novice producer).

Of course all this could be easily solved by hearing from Mr. Srikant himself...

but anyway, there are a couple reasons I could see they might be doing things this way, it's not necessarily fishy. Just remember all the standard disclaimers when considering a job...

One reason could be a bad experience in the past with a spoiled brat DP who fought them every step of the way on equipment and then spent a week trying to figure out how to run what the production did rent for him. I can hear a producer who had "been there, done that" saying "why not just advertise for DP who owns his own kit, he'll be familiar with it and not be continually bellyaching about not having Panavision's latest, greatest, and most expensive to play with. We've all worked with spoiled brats, right?

#12 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:01 AM

They are asking for quality DPs who they MUST know "Will Know the score"..

While No-one knows the real story.. I think its a fair advert for a relatively unknown DP and a way to assess in a limited way how serious they might be.. They may even turn round and say well we will supply the Equipment... Just looking for someone who puts there money where there mouth is.. So to speak..

I'm not saying this is the right or wrong way.. BUT I read it as worth a look..

#13 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:49 AM

A few years ago I did a feature in the Midwest for a producer who owned his own video production house. He had a nice lighting & grip truck and a good crew of guys, but he knew that he was not comfortable shooting film so he went looking for a DP and for a camera package. As an owner of gear, it made great sense to him to look for a DP with his/her own package, and could arrange a one-stop shopping even though he was fully willing to pay a proper rate for both the DP and the camera rental. It all made perfect sense and if he had posted to a board like this I imagine the ad would have read almost exactly the same as the one in question.

#14 Rik Andino

Rik Andino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:36 AM

There are many reason why a producer would look to hire a craftperson with gear

But from my own experience when a producer is looking for a Cinematographer with gear...
Or a grip with gear, or a soundperson with gear, or make-up artist etc...
It's because they're trying to save money.

Although it makes lots of sense sometimes to just hire someone
And not have to go deal with rental policies and a bunch of other concerns that rental houses have...

However wjhen the skill of the craftperson is the most important aspect
Usually someone is hired and the gear is rented elsewhere.

Often the skill of the craftperson is overlooked when searching for the proper gear
And it can give the message--all you really need is the gear and not the skill if you want a job in industry.

Usually that's the case--I'm not saying it's is this time, but usually.

Eitherways I think this producer learn the horrors of posting an ad on an internet forum. :)

Opal

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport